Final Gravity to low??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndFloorBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Triple and it has been sitting in primary for 2 weeks now. the OG was 1.071 and i just did a test on it today and its 1.008. Is this bad? should i let it sit in primary more? dont you usually want around 1.012ish or so for belgian final gravity.

Im still new to brewing so any help is great. I tasted it and it tasted great though:ban:

Not bad, many people wish their tripels would finish that low.

No problem.

If it tasted great, bottle it up when your gravity is stable. Sounds like it's there, but take another reading in 2 days, confirm it's the same, then bottle it up when you're ready. But no harm in letting it sit there longer. You could secondary if you want to age it for 6 months, but I usually bottle and let it age in there. That way I can enjoy some sooner and I free up my carboy.

Up to you though.

I would say that as long as it isn't too high everything will be great. The carbonation levels on a tripel should provide most of the mouthfeel. The most important thing is that it is not thick.

I agree with Ty that conditioning is reeally a large part of the style. Two to Three weeks lagering befroe bottling is standard in all the Trappist breweries besides Chimay, which only conditions for one week.

That's pretty low. Mine finished around 1.004 and it was hot-alcohol, especially at first. I'm getting tired of the style but every now and then I pour a small glass and think, "This tastes like a dubbel should."

Bulk aging is key for big belgians though.

i'm definitely going to let it age but i was just unsure on what route to take...bottle and let age for a few months or... secondary for awhile then bottle and age more.

thanks everyone for all the help

It has only been two weeks. Belgian yeasts are different. They get lowpretty fast but can tick off a few more points at a slower pace. I would let it sit for at least a couple more weeks to make sure it is truely finished.

The first tripel I did I thought it was done because it was at a low Gravity. I checked it again a couple of days late and it was the same and bottled it up. Ended up with a wayyyyy overcarbed brew. I am guessing that it was a couple of points from being finished. I still have a few bottles of this brew that is over a year old and it tastes fantastic but does foam up when I open them.

Here is a great quote from Brew Like a Monk....

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. I can often take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it does for the first 80%"

thanks beergolf, thats good to know. i did up the temp to 72 degrees now for the rest of the time in the fermentor. I will check it in a few days and leave it to just make sure. im in no rush so ill take my time and make sure it turns out good

Back