final gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickles4057

Reaction score
Howdy.

I am working on my second batch of mead. According to my hydrometer, the gravity has come down to 1.010. However, I am struggling to believe my own readings because the taste at this point is very sweet. It is still early, it has not aged much. I was going to let it age in a carboy for several months before bottling. But could that reading be correct if it still tastes VERY sweet? OG was 1.115.

1.010 is ok for a beer, but sweet for a mead. You say VERY sweet, though, which it should only be a little sweet. Let it age as you said you plan to, and it should all work out. Any residual actual honey that hasn't fermented out yet goes a long way toward the taste.

You can also check if there's residual honey density at the bottom as opposed to the top, either slowly stir everything together so it blends then grab a sample from top, middle and bottom. Either check individually or blend them in cylinder and check together, if the reading is higher you've got sugars in the bottom not fully blending and need more fermentation. What yeast if I might ask, check if it's reached alcohol tolerance or possible stall.

Latest posts

Back