final gravity of starter, infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincoln

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello ,
So this is my first try at washing yeast. I washed a batch of WPL011 per Bernie Brewer instructions about 3 months ago. last friday I made a 1L 1.038~1.040 starter. I got a very late start on sunday so only one batch. it sat on a stir plate through monday evening and sat on the counter till tonight.

in all respects it looks like a healthy starter. there is defiantly a layer of old not so good yeast at the bottom and a thicker layer of very young yeast on top. to try again this weekend i decanted off the liquid and added a quart of wort that i had pressure canned.

more curious than any thing i took a gravity reading of the liquid i decanted off and it had none. (1.000) this has me some what panicked. the sample smells slightly cidery . so i tasted it, and it tastes awful, will i didn't expect it to taste good. but i have never tasted a starter before.

for sanitation i use star san. handling the yeast i use aseptic techniques (well as well as i can, i have never had a micro biology class. just form what i read on the internet or the youtube)

Do you think its infected? I don't get to brew enough all ready i don't want to toss a batch.

thank you for your time

link

Back