Final gravity issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZJoey23

Reaction score
Hello,

Long time watcher, first time poster here. I recently brewed an experimental IPA, and the final gravity seems to have stalled out much higher than I would've expected. For the past two days, it has been been reading at 1.022, which is way off from where I wanted. OG was 1.051 on 9/4.
For a clear picture, my recipe/method was:
3 lbs Briess golden light
1 lb Briess golden light (added final 15 minutes of boil)
1/4 lb of of Munich malt, and 1/2 lb of crystal 10, steeped at 155 to 160 with amylase before adding malt and boiling
Yeast was EC-1118 for fun
This was a 3 gallon batch, and it's been chilling in the lower 60s (using water bath method). I just warmed it up to 70 out of concern it was maybe too cold. First 2 days were insane with fermentation, and it's been quiet since.
Any insight or advice would be appreciated, cheers!

Joey

I'm just using a standard hydrometer. It has worked fine, and it seems to be just an issue with my IPA. I've recently brewed a cream ale and a hefe, came out great and at the expected abv.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll have to live with an accidental sessions ipa. At least it tastes good. Lesson learned! :D

Latest posts

Back