Final Gravity Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rauchbier

Reaction score
I've tried searching this forum and other websites, but nothing.

So right now I have a Steam Beer (my first HB attempt) in my fermenter. Its been two weeks since I brewed it, and airlock activity stopped all together last weekend. I want to bottle it this weekend, so I've been told if I take hydrometer readings and they are constant over three days then I can bottle. The original gravity was 1.048, which was at the bottom of the range.

The first FG reading I took yesterday was 1.017, then today it was 1.018. I corrected for temperature. The test sample actually tasted like beer!!! The kit said the FG should be between 1.012-1.014

Since I'm a newbie I still have a lot to learn, but is a difference of +.001 considered constant. And should a let it rest more to see if it keeps falling into the proper range. Thanks

.01 difference is not a big deal. I would recommend you let it sit for a few more days. Remember, the air lock is not the tell-all. On average, mos tof the time you are looking for about 1.012 or so.

rauchbier said:
The first FG reading I took yesterday was 1.017, then today it was 1.018. I corrected for temperature. The test sample actually tasted like beer!!! The kit said the FG should be between 1.012-1.014

Since I'm a newbie I still have a lot to learn, but is a difference of +.001 considered constant. And should a let it rest more to see if it keeps falling into the proper range. Thanks
Even though the directions say it should finish at about 1.012, I'm guessing your fermentation finished at 1.017. Thats a bit high but if you have no air lock activity and it has been 2 weeks I'd say it is done. If you want you could try rousting the yeast by gently stirring with a large sanitized metal spoon and see what happens. It may work it may not. I would lean toward bottling it in about a week and enjoy it and RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the idea RichBrewer.

I read some more and I may (or may not) have a stuck fermentation. So I just gently "roused" the yeast; taking all the proper precautions. And I'll wait another week.

No wonder "patience is a virtue" is a popular phrase

Thanks

Update: Well, only 30 minutes after "rousing" the yeast, I saw the airlock bubbling for the first time since Friday. So I guess it was a stuck fermentation.

Back