Final gravity for belgian quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian quad on 10/20. OG 1.080. Fermentation was crazy. Used 3 pkg of wyeast 3522. It's still in the primary and just took a gravity reading. It's 1.020. Tastes a bit sweet. What's the typical final gravity of a quad? Should I let it go a little longer or give it a few more days and check the gravity again before racking to a secondary?

Yep. Give it a test in a couple days and see if it's steady. Quads will typically finish relatively high. 1.020 is certainly not out of the question.

A lot of it depends on the recipe, yeast and temps. I like to shoot for 1.010 or lower. Actually, for any Belgian, I think 10 is on the high side.

What did you use for fermentables and what mash temp? Like the above poster said, I prefer mine on the dryer side, but I just had one that one of the guys at my LHBS made that had an FG of 1.030.

Shred said:
What did you use for fermentables and what mash temp? Like the above poster said, I prefer mine on the dryer side, but I just had one that one of the guys at my LHBS made that had an FG of 1.030.

From my brew diary.

image-6297017.jpg

It doesn't look like you have a ton of non-fermentable sugars and 150 should leave you with a pretty dry final product. By my calculations you should finish at around 1.015 or so.

Was this a 5 gallon batch? Your OG looks a little low for your grain bill unless your efficiency was down around 60%.

Depending on the age/health of your yeast you may have slightly under-pitched, but not drastically and I'm a believer that straining Belgian yeast a little can add more of that "Belgian character".

It was more like 5 1/2 gallons. Any downsides of pitching a neutral dry yeast?

It won't hurt, but I suspect it won't do any more than the Belgian. You might want to try and push the temperature up to 80 before trying to pitch another yeast.

Calder said:
I won't hurt, but I suspect it won't do any more than the Belgian. You might want to try and push the temperature up to 80 before trying to pitch another yeast.

I have a blanket heater I used for a different wyeast Belgian strain. Maybe I'll use it here for a few days.

What temp is it at now? It has only been 3 weeks + so give it some more time. Warm it up and let it sit for another couple of weeks. Belgian yeasts are famous for starting off fast and then taking a long time to finish out. Your recipe and mash schedule should finish a lot lower. Patience is very important with most brews but even more important with Belgians.

I usually give my Belgians at least 6 weeks in the fermenter to make sure they are done.

Unfortunately it's cold in my basement now. Mid 60's. I threw on the blanket a couple hours ago and the air lock is bubbling away again. :)

Bubbles in the airlock don't necessarily mean fermentation has taken off, cooler beer in warmer environment could be off gassing. 3522's temperature range is listed at 65-76, so you've been on the low end through the bulk of fermentation. I would recommend warming it up like previously mentioned, plus waiting at least another week at low to mid 70s.

Getting the high vols of CO2 you'd typically find in a Quad (or any Belgian beer) might do a lot to reduce the impression of sweetness when it's all done.

I ended up bottling with a final gravity of 1.012. Still tasted really sweet though. Hopefully some carbonation will help with that in a week or two.

Just an update, about two months after bottling, just tasted for the first time yesterday, and it's really good. The over sweetness is gone and it's a nice Quad. Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Latest posts

Back