Final gravity for belgian quad

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

chadkarol

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian quad on 10/20. OG 1.080. Fermentation was crazy. Used 3 pkg of wyeast 3522. It's still in the primary and just took a gravity reading. It's 1.020. Tastes a bit sweet. What's the typical final gravity of a quad? Should I let it go a little longer or give it a few more days and check the gravity again before racking to a secondary?

Shred

Beer Brewer & Blogger
Reaction score
Yep. Give it a test in a couple days and see if it's steady. Quads will typically finish relatively high. 1.020 is certainly not out of the question.

Calder

Reaction score
A lot of it depends on the recipe, yeast and temps. I like to shoot for 1.010 or lower. Actually, for any Belgian, I think 10 is on the high side.

Shred

Beer Brewer & Blogger
Reaction score
What did you use for fermentables and what mash temp? Like the above poster said, I prefer mine on the dryer side, but I just had one that one of the guys at my LHBS made that had an FG of 1.030.

OP
chadkarol

chadkarol

Reaction score
Shred said:
What did you use for fermentables and what mash temp? Like the above poster said, I prefer mine on the dryer side, but I just had one that one of the guys at my LHBS made that had an FG of 1.030.
From my brew diary.

image-6297017.jpg

Shred

Beer Brewer & Blogger
Reaction score
It doesn't look like you have a ton of non-fermentable sugars and 150 should leave you with a pretty dry final product. By my calculations you should finish at around 1.015 or so.

Was this a 5 gallon batch? Your OG looks a little low for your grain bill unless your efficiency was down around 60%.

Depending on the age/health of your yeast you may have slightly under-pitched, but not drastically and I'm a believer that straining Belgian yeast a little can add more of that "Belgian character".

OP
chadkarol

chadkarol

Reaction score
It was more like 5 1/2 gallons. Any downsides of pitching a neutral dry yeast?

Calder

Reaction score
It was more like 5 1/2 gallons. Any downsides of pitching a neutral dry yeast?
It won't hurt, but I suspect it won't do any more than the Belgian. You might want to try and push the temperature up to 80 before trying to pitch another yeast.

OP
chadkarol

chadkarol

Reaction score
Calder said:
I won't hurt, but I suspect it won't do any more than the Belgian. You might want to try and push the temperature up to 80 before trying to pitch another yeast.
I have a blanket heater I used for a different wyeast Belgian strain. Maybe I'll use it here for a few days.

beergolf

Reaction score
What temp is it at now? It has only been 3 weeks + so give it some more time. Warm it up and let it sit for another couple of weeks. Belgian yeasts are famous for starting off fast and then taking a long time to finish out. Your recipe and mash schedule should finish a lot lower. Patience is very important with most brews but even more important with Belgians.

I usually give my Belgians at least 6 weeks in the fermenter to make sure they are done.

OP
chadkarol

chadkarol

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's cold in my basement now. Mid 60's. I threw on the blanket a couple hours ago and the air lock is bubbling away again. :)

pdxal

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Bubbles in the airlock don't necessarily mean fermentation has taken off, cooler beer in warmer environment could be off gassing. 3522's temperature range is listed at 65-76, so you've been on the low end through the bulk of fermentation. I would recommend warming it up like previously mentioned, plus waiting at least another week at low to mid 70s.

biereblanche

Reaction score
Getting the high vols of CO2 you'd typically find in a Quad (or any Belgian beer) might do a lot to reduce the impression of sweetness when it's all done.

OP
chadkarol

chadkarol

Reaction score
I ended up bottling with a final gravity of 1.012. Still tasted really sweet though. Hopefully some carbonation will help with that in a week or two.

OP
chadkarol

chadkarol

Reaction score
Just an update, about two months after bottling, just tasted for the first time yesterday, and it's really good. The over sweetness is gone and it's a nice Quad. Thanks to all for your help and advice.