Filtering yeast to add syrup at bottling - necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephonovich

Reaction score
I want to make a Maple Wheat, after trying one at a small brewery in VT (Rock Art). I spoke to them about theirs, and they told me the huge maple profile they get is because they add the syrup immediately prior to bottling.

I know some of their beers are bottle conditioned, but I don't think all of them are.

The options I see are:

1. Filter out the yeast, force carbonate with a keg, and then use a Beergun or similar to transfer to bottles (I'd be borrowing the keg setup; I bottle).

2. Use the syrup as priming sugar, which doesn't let me use as much as I'd like, and additionally, will allow the yeast to ferment some or all of it out, removing the taste.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I choose option 1.

But, if you use US-05, Wyeast-1010 or 1056, WL001 or 051, you could skip the fintering process.

Why is that? The ABV won't be high enough to kill it off. That being said, I actually did plan on using S-05.

I think I'll go with Option 1. I was thinking of putting 2 lbs of the syrup into the boil, and 1 lb in right before bottling, after filtering. I can't find an easy way to calculate residual sugar; Beersmith puts the OG at 1.054, and FG at 1.006 - seems a tad on the light side to me, but that's what 2 pounds of sugary goodness will get you. Does 1 lb of syrup spread in 5 gallons for bottling seem too much, too little, or about right?

just an aside, I am pretty sure you will get more maple flavor with darker syrup - especially a dark grade B.

Back