Filtering post chill wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdscole

Reaction score
I received a wort pump for Christmas and now want to do everything possible with it because it’s new and different! So, does this make sense:
Throw a biab into the pot at the last 5 min of boil to sterilize and then use the recirc pump to run all of the wort back through it to catch all the trub and hops before moving to the fermenter?

tried my hop spider and it clogged after 30 seconds...

Has anyone tried something similar?

The best way to get clear wort into the fermenter is to use kettle fining agents and pH adjustment, rapidly chill and whirlpool, and then give the break material time to settle before transferring.

The BIAB bags I use will catch hops, but not break material. I obtained my best results by using a brewing basket (essentially a hop spider that was a wee bit smaller in circumference than by boil kettle). It drained very slowly, but a lot of the break seemed to be filtered by the hops as it drained. That setup hasn't worked well when making hefeweizens, though, which have very low hop content.

Back