filtering ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamCanada

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone had an ingenious way of filtering into a keg from a carboy? I have two kegs but luckily they're never both empty. I was thinking some kind of syphon you pump through a filter? Has anyone tried an aquarium pump with a .5 micron water filter or using online fuel filters while racking? I would love to just primary 3 weeks and then filter clear into keg. Ipas don't seem to need it but lagers and light beers don't taste as crisp with my usual method.i know time will clear it up but I like making things. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

One extra keg is what I use. Push through the filter with co2. The pressure required to push the beer through the filter could bust your carboy.

What little trub that makes it to my keg is gone after a few days of cold crashing in the keg and pulling the first pint to clear the trub. I figure that first pint is the sacrifice to Ninkasi for letting me make such a great beer.:rockin:

You can use a vacuum. If you attach preferably a food saver vacuum sealer to the co2 port of the keg and pull out of the carboy through a filter into the out port. I've never tried that. I would like to think the carboy could handle that amount of pressure, but not sure.

Naw, just thought there was a better option. Wine makers use an aquarium style pump to pull the wine through a plate filter into another carboy rather than into a keg but same idea. They cost $180 Canadian so not really worth it in my opinion. I'd be surprised if no one's made a cheaper hommade version.

it really comes down to a question of cost. If you really want to use a filter, then you need to push the beer through it somehow. Another keg would work. It may be the cheapest option for filtering beer if you already have a keg system.

I'm pretty sure gravity alone won't provide enough pressure to filter beer.

Check out my post. Not sure how to put it on here. It is first keg filled. All gravity. Have done 2 kegs this way and haven't had any taste/oxygen problems.

Ok thanks. I was wondering if gravity could push it through a filter. And yes I do have a kegging system with 2 kegs, but I might try to use a small pump to push it through the filter into a keg. I only do 5 gallon batches at the moment and stagger them so I never have an empty keg around.

Back