Filtering Hop Pellets from Spike Conical to Keg - Tri Clamp Screen Gasket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb445

Reaction score
Hi All - I have a Spike CF10 and have been looking for solutions to my kegs/QDs clogging during closed transfers. I dump my pellets in lose and prior to kegging, cold crash at 36F for ~48 hours. I usually do 3 hop dumps throughout the cold crash. I then use a carb stone to carbonate in the Conical. Even with the dumps, I still get clogged kegs (or QDs). It has become extremely frustrating come kegging time.

I have been looking into this Inline Wort Strainer but it is big and bulky and there are not many posts on using it.

Then I stumbled upon this Tri Clamp Screen Gasket-- Has anyone used one of these before? I was thinking of putting it at the end of my Butterfly Valve to catch the last little bits of pellet particles before hitting the QD.

Thanks!!

The screen will either be ineffective or get clogged and require you to repeatedly disassemble it.

48 hours is not enough time for all the hop material to settle especially at such a low temperature, I always wait at least a full week before attempting to transfer when I dry hop. Also if you're using the carbonation stone to carbonate you'll kick up a lot of material which will make the process even slower, you need to either first carb and then dry-hop or carbonate more slowly by applying pressure to the headspace (set-and-forget method) in order not to mess with the sedimentation process.

Back