Filtering from Keg To Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Yes I searched.

I want to primary in one keg, and filter out hop particles and bigger chunks with a liquid to liquid transfer, without oxygenating.

anyone do this?

There is a thread around here somewhere, but I couldn't find it either. What my set up is, is I go from Liquid Out to a whole house water filter setup with a coarse filter, then to Liquid out of the new keg (that has been purged with CO2). I use about 5 PSI of pressure to push through the filter. Makes a mess of the filter, so it is a one and done kind of deal. But the coarse filters are fairly inexpensive.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149008-59019-WHKF-WHPL_0__?productId=1137159&Ntt=water+filter

There is a thread around here somewhere, but I couldn't find it either. What my set up is, is I go from Liquid Out to a whole house water filter setup with a coarse filter, then to Liquid out of the new keg (that has been purged with CO2). I use about 5 PSI of pressure to push through the filter. Makes a mess of the filter, so it is a one and done kind of deal. But the coarse filters are fairly inexpensive.

A good thought!

Is the low PSI critical to pushing O2 ahead of the beer?

I ferment in what is like a very large keg. I shortened the dip tube and toss about a half pint before transferring into my kegs, it usually runs clear after about a half a pint.

The problem with fermenting in 5 gallon kegs is you don't get 5 gallons of beer, when you transfer to a fresh keg you'll be lucky to get 4 gallons.

All the time. Just make an out to out hose. Connect One keg to the other. Pop the relief on the incoming keg and put about 3 psi on the outgoing keg. If you don't disturb the steeled keg you won't get much crap at all. Be ready when the donor keg is about empty, and pop the QD on the new keg When you see your line get cloudy

A good thought!

Is the low PSI critical to pushing O2 ahead of the beer?

No, I just use the PSI to push the beer. Prior to connecting the filter setup, I run starsan solution through it and disconnect it while it is full. Then I connect it to the beer so there is no air in the system. I don't connect it to the new keg until the beer has pushed the starsan out. I lose about a cup.

All the time. Just make an out to out hose. Connect One keg to the other. Pop the relief on the incoming keg and put about 3 psi on the outgoing keg. If you don't disturb the steeled keg you won't get much crap at all. Be ready when the donor keg is about empty, and pop the QD on the new keg When you see your line get cloudy

Makes good sense, but it seems like I am disturbing the "from" keg pretty constantly.
Do you always use whole hops? It seems that hop particles are what failto settle.

No, I just use the PSI to push the beer. Prior to connecting the filter setup, I run starsan solution through it and disconnect it while it is full. Then I connect it to the beer so there is no air in the system. I don't connect it to the new keg until the beer has pushed the starsan out. I lose about a cup.

Makes good sense, priming the filter so to speak. Thanks.

Just remember if you decide to filter with a whole house filter you will lose all of the beer that is left in the housing also.

Makes good sense, but it seems like I am disturbing the "from" keg pretty constantly.
Do you always use whole hops? It seems that hop particles are what failto settle.

Makes good sense, priming the filter so to speak. Thanks.

I use pellet. But I bag it when I dry hop. I've never had too much issue with it.

Part of my problem may be letting things settle before transferring.

I don't ferment where my keezer is....

Part of my problem may be letting things settle before transferring.

I don't ferment where my keezer is....

That's the key.
When I ferment I NEVER move the fermenter. I also ferment in a kegerator, so it's really easy to cold crash the whole thing, but not necessary. Drop the temp, hook up the gas, hook up the empty keg, and transfer. The first slug of beer is cloudy, but after that it's crystal clear. Just go slow or you'll suck more trub into the pickup tube. Once you reach the end you'll get trub again. Be ready to pull the transfer QD from the keg when you see the line go cloudy. You won't sacrifice much.

I have one more step as I brew 10g batches - The Gas IN post of the first keg is hooked to the beer out QD of a second empty Corny. The relief valve on the first keg stays closed, and the relief valve on the second keg is opened. It just overflows into the second keg when the first one is full.

Some really good Basic info that usually gets overlooked.

Problem now is that I need a keezer to ferment in and one to serve in;)

Back