filtering beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
is there any way to filter the beer as it comes out of the fermentor and then still be able to bottle condition/carb it? or will filtering it remove too much if not all of the yeast so as not to allow the beer to carb. I want to filter the beer so i can drink it straight from the bottle. i know that kegging then bottling from keg is the better way, but i dont have the keg setup all together yet, but i am tired of telling people to be careful not to drink the whole beer...lol

As far as I know there isn't a way to filter the beer and bottle carb it. Even if you could once the remaining yeast ate the sugars and finished they would fall out of solution and make sediment in the bottom of the bottle. As far as I know the only way to get sediment free beers would be to force carbonate the bottles.

If you filter, you have to repitch new yeast, which will still give you sediment...sorry bro.

so how do some of the craft beer people do it? they say it is bottle conditioned, but there is little or no sediment at the bottom of the bottle and you can drink it straight from the bottle with no issues? any ideas on that?

If they truly bottle carbonate, there will always be some yeast at the bottom. I think part if the reason it seams to stay on the bottom as you pour is the beer sits in the bottles for a lot longer than yours will, allowing it to condense a bit. It would not be surprising to learn that companies are jacking around with the term "bottle conditioned" either. Could they be force carbing it, bottling it, then letting it sit for an extended time so they could call it "bottle conditioned"?

so how do some of the craft beer people do it? they say it is bottle conditioned, but there is little or no sediment at the bottom of the bottle and you can drink it straight from the bottle with no issues? any ideas on that?

Since they add yeast back after filtering(or centrifuging, or both, or fining) the sediment is only yeast. In an unfiltered homebrew the sediment is hop material, protein, and yeast. And the yeast they add back is chosen because it tightly compacts, rather than the yeast used for fermentation which could be any yeast.

I have some brews I have made that have little sediment in the bottle. For me the secret is to choose a yeast that compacts well and give it time to ferment out and the yeast settle. Try brewing a batch and leave it in the fermenter for 4 to 8 weeks before you bottle it.

How to eliminate bottle sediment.

Haven't tried these myself, but obviously Craig has. :mug:

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
these are pretty amazing. I just wish they cost a little bit less. I searched and for 30 of these it is $72 at that price it might be worth just spending the money to keg and then bottle beer from the kegs if i am going to take them somewhere. i might pick up a box of 15 though just to try them out and do a 6 pack out of each batch i make. not sure yet. this is def the answer though as how to get bottle conditioned without the sediment!:drunk:

Some breweries let the wort ferment until it reaches a specified gravity, then close off the fermentor to allow the yeast to carbonate the beer in the fermenter. When the beer is nearly fully carbonated they then bottle, and the remaining carbonation is conditioned in the bottle. Since the majority of the yeast and sediment has fallen into the fermenter, there is almost nothing left to create dregs in the bottle. Some may say that this really isn't bottle conditioning, but it's not a complete falsehood.

Some breweries let the wort ferment until it reaches a specified gravity, then close off the fermentor to allow the yeast to carbonate the beer in the fermenter. When the beer is nearly fully carbonated they then bottle, and the remaining carbonation is conditioned in the bottle. Since the majority of the yeast and sediment has fallen into the fermenter, there is almost nothing left to create dregs in the bottle. Some may say that this really isn't bottle conditioning, but it's not a complete falsehood.

Yes but i definately dont have the fermentor to do that! lol I would end up with a mess everywhere trying to do this.

my ciders are sediment-free due to racking several times over several months- you could do it with beer I guess if you are careful and do not introduce to much O2... it doesn't seem to bother cider- maybe because of the higher alcohol content?

I don't think it is worth the risk- part of the homebrew process is pouring your creation into a sturdy pint glass, gazing into it, sticking your nose in the froth and quaffing if- the smoothness is enhanced by the glass... I can't imagine sucking down a homebrew straight from the bottle as if it is a bottle of Corona or something equally vile...

I agree that homebrew is def best served in a glass, however for taking it to a get together it sure would be nice to bring a 6 pack that i dont have to get a glass to drink it. Thats why i think im going to get just a small order of those sediment remover caps that were on this thread. they seem to work well enough.:D

If you keg, you could force carbonate and fill from the keg. Buying a beer gun or counter-pressure filler is probably cheaper/easier than using those sed ex caps.

I'd rather be able to bottle on demand since I loath bottling. I don't have a beer gun, so for now I just bring growlers with me when I go places. Nobody has complained yet... but if they did I'd go get them a PBR. That would teach them.

Stand said:
If you keg, you could force carbonate and fill from the keg. Buying a beer gun or counter-pressure filler is probably cheaper/easier than using those sed ex caps.

I'd rather be able to bottle on demand since I loath bottling. I don't have a beer gun, so for now I just bring growlers with me when I go places. Nobody has complained yet... but if they did I'd go get them a PBR. That would teach them.

Look into the biermuncher bottle filler that's how I bottle from keg no fuss involved bottles stay carbed as well as any other beer.

Yes as soon as i start kegging that will fix my problem. I just got a bunch of new stuff so i have to save up again...lol i have the chest freezer and my temp controler now. using as fermentation chamber until i have money to get my keg set-up going.

You actually can filter an bottle condition....IIRC anything above a 5 micron filter WILL let yeast thru. I filter upon occasion, and I have filtered using a 10mic filter and although force carbing have gotten Unmistakeable yeast sediment in my bottles, after bringing them up to room temp. Only polishing filters ( 1micron or less) filter remove all the yeast.

I have used a filter that will do what you want for second stage and bottling. It is sold by gerrysbrewingproducts.com

I am going to check out that site and see if that filter works for me. I think that if it doesn't I am just going to wait and get my keg setup all going then just bottle as I need to take somewhere. seems like it will end up being easier.

Back