Filter for Oxygenation wand ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger5150

Reaction score
Hello Ladies and gents,

I have been using the shake method for a couple years now but am frustrated because my FG is usually a little higher than I would like.

I am gonna spring for an Oxygenation wand but would like to know if it would be better to get one with a filter or not.

Is there a big difference and is a filter between tank and stone necessary.

:mug:

Thank You

If you're using O2, a filter is not necessary, as pure oxygen has its own disinfecting properties.

MaxStout, Since recently moving to all grain, I also changed my method for oxygenation. It's one of the processes that I fear is a high risk for infecting the beer. I was under the impression that it would be a good idea to use an in-line filter with O2 if it were the industrial type. In fact, I have been pricing medical grade cylinders and supply, because I can't imagine the filters stay sterile forever. It would be great to hear that I don't need to do that and can just use the "Home Depot" O2.

The other reason the oxygenation process makes me so nervous stems from my first time trying with a stone and air pump. I had sanitized the stone and it was wet, in and out. They don't work too well with any moisture inside them. I have a different process for sanitizing now. I use a toaster oven (15 mins at 350) for the stone and star san for the tubing.

The first time using the stone, I finished and soaked for a short few minutes in PBW, then star san. I stored it in a plastic sandwich bag. In a few weeks, I noticed something growing in the pores of the stone. I can't imagine that could be good.

My process now looks like this - From storage to toaster oven, cool down, touch with clean sanitized tin foil, attach airline and filter, oxygenate wort for 25 seconds with tank on but low, create a few inches of foam, remove to PBW in HOT water for a few hours, star san, dry and store.

I do not have a wand, only the SS stone.

Doesn't hurt to be extra cautious. Those stones have millions of tiny holes that could be a great place for bacteria to grow.

I boil my stone in water for 10 or 15 minutes, then attach to the wand w/o touching the stone portion directly. My wand is homemade, just a 24" length of 3/8" OD copper tubing with a short length of plastic tubing to attach the stone to the end.

After oxygenation, I run a little O2 through the stone while the stone is immersed in Starsan, just to eject any wort that may be in the pores. Then drip-dry and put in a ziploc bag.

I haven't had one clog yet, though I do keep a second stone on hand, just in case.

Back