Filling growlers from picnic faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chill my growler in the freezer first. Then, purge my keg so the brew comes out nice and slow. I tilt the growler and fill er up easy. The cap gets screwed on tightly and if I am feeling anal retentive, I slap on some saran wrap real tightly around the cap.

or if you have a spare racking cane, they (the 3/8" ones) fit perfectly into the ends of a picnic tap. Shove one end in there, then cut the other at an angle and put down into the growler. You could go one step further and put a stopper the growler neck with the cane through it and burp pressure as needed like in Biermunchers Cheap Beer Gun.

or if you have a spare racking cane, they (the 3/8" ones) fit perfectly into the ends of a picnic tap. Shove one end in there, then cut the other at an angle and put down into the growler. You could go one step further and put a stopper the growler neck with the cane through it and burp pressure as needed like in Biermunchers Cheap Beer Gun.

+1^^^^
I have been using this for at least a year and it works killer. I have bottled beer / Apflewein that sat for 6-12 months without any signs of infection.

I do the same thing- either with a racking cane or a piece of tubing. I have a 16" piece of soft tubing that fits right into my Perlick faucets. Another key is to turn the pressure way down- just enough to push the beer. Turn the gas off, purge that keg if you can, and reset it for 2 psi or so, just enough to push the beer. It works great, and keeps a growler carbed all weekend.

Or, until you drink it anyway. Sometimes I need 3-4 growlers for a weekend at my cottage.

I do the same thing- either with a racking cane or a piece of tubing. I have a 16" piece of soft tubing that fits right into my Perlick faucets. Another key is to turn the pressure way down- just enough to push the beer. Turn the gas off, purge that keg if you can, and reset it for 2 psi or so, just enough to push the beer. It works great, and keeps a growler carbed all weekend.

Or, until you drink it anyway. Sometimes I need 3-4 growlers for a weekend at my cottage.

Sounds like you need a mobile kegerator...:rockin:

Yes, I forgot to mention the pressure part.

Also, there is a guy (I think here) that custom makes nipples for Perlick Faucets. They allow you to unscrew the spout on (some) Perlick faucets, and screw in a fitting that has a hose barb on it for this very application.

Back