Filling Bottles from your keg..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fit a tube to the tap that will reach the bottom of the bottle/growler to avoid tubulence and it will last for months, maybe more. Chill the keg as cold as possible, release the pressure and reset to 1 or 2 psi to reduce the amount of foam and you will also retain more carbonation that way too. Chiiling the bottles also helps.

Ive done it with minimal sanitization for a party/weekend out. Not a problem. If your looking for longer term storage, I'd say just have really good sanitation and follow the directions above!

first, read this, if you haven't already.

i think you're asking two different questions. i follow the post above to fill bottles for long term storage in the beer vault/giving to friends/entering in competitions. the key there is minimizing co2 loss and air gain. when i think growler i think take home beer from the pub that will be drank with in a few hours. if you're doing that then like DAAB said, chill the growler, reduce pressure, and fill like you're racking.

SenorWanderer said:
first, read this, if you haven't already.

i think you're asking two different questions. i follow the post above to fill bottles for long term storage in the beer vault/giving to friends/entering in competitions. the key there is minimizing co2 loss and air gain. when i think growler i think take home beer from the pub that will be drank with in a few hours. if you're doing that then like DAAB said, chill the growler, reduce pressure, and fill like you're racking.

If I'm filling just to take to a party and I will drink it that night I just grab a clean growler and will fill it using the racking cane in the tap with the stopper. If I'm filling and I know it's going to sit for days-months then I take the time to clean the tap and sanitize everything and chill the bottles.

Always bottle as if you are going to be keeping the beer that you take to a party. That way if you get wasted and leave a few behind someone doesn't open them a week later to find skanky, oxidised, infected beer and think all your beer is like that;)

Back