Fig Cider Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
Fig Cider

1 gallon

---Primary---
96oz apple juice
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1 lb dextrose
Nottingham ale yeast

---Secondary---
5oz honey
8oz dried figs

Boil 1 cup water with dextrose. Pour in primary, add nutrient and energizer, then apple juice. Pitch yeast. Ferment until dry. Stabilize. Move to secondary with 8oz honey and figs. Bottle.

I like my ciders still, which is why I stabilize it. This is actually a recipe minus the figs I've made for a while now. The abv is usually about 8-9%.

My question is, has anyone ever used figs before? I wanted to add to the secondary to get a more pronounced fig flavor, or should I add to primary?

You should pull figgy flavor by adding that amt of dried figs to your gallon. The cider may appear oxidized due to use of dried figs. I make a fig mead, a cyser now that I think about it, one of those a bit of this-a bit of that yearly concoctions.

Know that you say that, a cyser sounds really good. I've never made one so might be a good learning experience. do you think replacing the dextrose with 12oz honey would be sufficient?

I decided to make a cyser and go with the original recipe of fig cider, hopefully starting the cider tonight!

Did you dry the figs? I have a fig tree and have no idea what to do with the little goobers. Fig cider sounds like a great idea!

Let me know,
-AH

I actually couldn't find any dry figs at the store, so I bought a few fresh ones, washed them, and blended them. I added a campden tablet to kill all the bacteria, and added to secondary. It was a mess, but tasted really good when I bottled. It takes awhile for most of the pulp to settle, and even then youll have a few floaters. I can see this tasting better with age.

I actually couldn't find any dry figs at the store...
In case you are specifically looking for "Dried Figs," you might want to instead look for "Dates." Don't know why they get a new name when you dry them, but I guess they're like grapes (raisins) and plums (prunes).

They're different fruits entirely, not sure how or why they became almost synonymous with each other. I thought the same thing for the longest time until a few years ago.

If I have a jar of preserved figs, could I just dump them into secondary without having to worry about camden tablets or infections?

Since its preserved, there shouldn't be anything to infect it. If you were looking to bottle carbonate it, I would make sure where's no stabilizers in the jar, but if its going to be still cider it wouldn't matter.

Thanks. I don't think there will be an issue with chemicals as it's a home preserve but I'll double check.

Protista- thanks for the incite, I'll have to check it out. I've found dates everywhere, and have actually made a cider with some dried dates, came out great. That's partially why I wanted to make a fig cider, to see how they differ.

DisplacedSailor- As I recall, pectic enzyme not only clarifies the cider, but also allows more flavor from the fruit to be extracted.

gratus fermentatio said:
Some fig preserves contain added pectin; if yours do, you'll need to add a dose of pectic enzyme to help break it down.
Regards, GF.

Ive found that people do 1/2 tsp of pectic per gallon of cider. Mine has been fermenting for 2 weeks now. Can I add the pectic or am I too late?

Thanks.

Ive found that people do 1/2 tsp of pectic per gallon of cider. Mine has been fermenting for 2 weeks now. Can I add the pectic or am I too late?

Thanks.

Pectic enzyme is usually added at the beginning of fermentation. You could add it now if you want, but you won't get as much out of it. If you have real fruit or plan on a long, slow ferment, I'd say sure, go for it. But if you're using just juice and/or your primary is about done, then I'd say don't worry about it; adding pectic enzyme at the end of primary really won't do much & IMHO, isn't worth it.

I use pectic enzyme for 2 reasons; to break down pectins that make up the cell walls in fruits, which results in more juice extraction and flavour & to help with clarity. Pectic enzyme is NOT a clarifying agent, it just breaks down pectins. I don't use clarifying agents & my ciders/wines/meads turn out crystal clear every time. I also like to put my fruit through a freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw, meaning I freeze it, thaw it & freeze it again, then thaw it for fermentation. This really helps with both juice extraction & breaking down cell walls. This method works really well for me, especially when combined with the pectic enzyme.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back