Fifty Pound Sack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
anyone know what happened to them? The website is up but for months nothing is in stock... Can't sell grain if you don't stock grain...

This sucks as they were my favorite go-to for Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner bags. Time to find another source...

I don't know. I just looked at a couple and out of stock.

But, WOW have they increased their prices - It would be no wonder if they are out of business. I looked at Rahr 2 row. $73??? - really. I get that for $56 at my LHBS with no shipping charges. Crisp Maris Otter $94??? I bought a sack last week - $65.

I am assuming your LHBS is close. Mine is about a 35 minute drive and is still hit or miss as to whether stuff will be in stock. I have tried prearranging my order with limited success. I figure the average for online sales is three 55 pound bags of weyerman bohemian Pilsner malt delivered to my doorstep for $189. Cheaper if you choose avangard brand.

I have yet to see an Amazon prime or nonprime offer that was good for sacks of grain. I will definitely check out the homebrewstuff.com offer as I have used them many times in the past for equipment

Fred - here is another possibility - price per sack is good and you can calculate shipping from your cart (a cart is what yankees refer to as a 'buggy') :)

http://www.ritebrew.com/category-s/1907.htm

Thanks for the source! Comes to about $246 for 3 bags of Marris Otter - about $25 higher than Fifty Pound Sack was. LHBS is $202 with tax plus round trip gas and time - so about $220 total.

That was the lure of Fifty Pound Sack - cost was the same as my LHBS but it was delivered to my doorstep.

Idk what happened to 50#sack but it was ran by the guys at rebel brewer. Ill ask next time im in.
My guess would be that the rising cost of grain and shipping the last few years broke the business model

How's Morebeer for you guys?... The 10lb bags qualify for their free shipping on $59... So I can get 50lbs of 2 row (in 10lb bags) delivered to my door from Morebeer cheaper than picking it up from my LHBS... As long as I'm ordering enough extra stuff to exceed $59. And I can always do that.

Their whole sacks are cheaper per oz but not eligible for free shipping so it evens out for me.

How's Morebeer for you guys?... The 10lb bags qualify for their free shipping on $59... So I can get 50lbs of 2 row (in 10lb bags) delivered to my door from Morebeer cheaper than picking it up from my LHBS... As long as I'm ordering enough extra stuff to exceed $59. And I can always do that.

Their whole sacks are cheaper per oz but not eligible for free shipping so it evens out for me.

I guess it depends on your location, but five 10 lb bags of Great Western 2-row would cost me $56.45 if I spent more to get to $59.

A 50 lb sack of Great Western 2-row would cost me $36.99 + $12.53 shipping, so $49.52 to my door which is cheaper than driving to my LHBS and buying it.

I guess it depends on your location, but five 10 lb bags of Great Western 2-row would cost me $56.45 if I spent more to get to $59.

A 50 lb sack of Great Western 2-row would cost me $36.99 + $12.53 shipping, so $49.52 to my door which is cheaper than driving to my LHBS and buying it.

Yeah, shipping for me is closer to $18 so it's only a couple of bucks difference between 5x10lbs vs a 50lb sack. I usually mix n match anyway and don't get a full 50lbs of 2-row. Still cheaper than LHBS for me, too.

anyone know what happened to them? The website is up but for months nothing is in stock... Can't sell grain if you don't stock grain...

This sucks as they were my favorite go-to for Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner bags. Time to find another source...

Stopped by rebel today.
50#s is dead and bundled into rebels site now.
The previous mentioned things plus keeping inventory balanced between the two shops led to its demise.
Rebel has started offering bulk hops and sack now instead.
Happy to have them as my LHBS

Too bad Rebel is charging too much for it to the point where now it's better off being bought locally 

Back