Fieldwork Pulp clone (neipa) help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What it looks like

20170323_151853.jpg

6.9% abv, no malts listed, and no other hops listed besides Citra. It tastes like a peach and orange juice smoothie. Very creamy, not much perceived bitterness

from Fieldwork:

PULP is what happens when we take our Pulp Free IPA and package it without any fining agents, leaving it turbid and creamy. High protein grains are used to guarantee not just body, but also that trademark haze we have come to enjoy from the beasts of the east. Using an isolated yeast strain from Vermont, this IPA obtains complimentary yeast esters of over-ripe peaches falling from the tree that pair perfectly with its hops. While none of our beers are ever filtered, the lack of fining in tank makes PULP an opaque monster, adding a nice juicy mouthfeel to the beer, making it stick to the palate more aggressively. Low bitterness and an over-the-top dry-hopping of Citra hops marry this newly formed style with our typical Fieldwork flavor profile. The abundance of Citra hops create an aggressive aroma that smells like a drive through a citrus orchard in peak of season, with notes of fresh orange, yellow grapefruit, and juicy sweet mango trekking from the first sniff to the last sip. PULP delivers just what we want, pure juicy hop deliciousness in its most natural of forms.

Sounds like it is an all citra IPA which makes cloning it easier from a hop variety perspective.

It is obviously a very pale, cloudy NEIPA so I would guess the grain bill is mostly (or all) pilsner malt, little to no crystal and a healthy dose of oat and/or wheat (flaked or rolled). They may even add flour to the boil to keep it extra murky.

Yeast is likely Conan or London III (there are a lot of variations of good NEIPA yeasts these days so any will work well).

Water adjustments should emphasize chloride.

IBUs should be lower than a normal IPA with a massive whirlpool and dry hop (I'd keep the flame on kettle addition IBUs in the 40s)

Mash low (148-149) and slow (60-90) min with a 90 min boil.

Play around on beersmith with your ratios until you hit your projected OG and IBUs (I'd shoot for around 20 percent oat/wheat).

It will likely take you multiple batches, tweaking each batch as you go, until you get close...good luck!

Trying to resurrect this thread. elburrogrande how did it go? I live close to Fieldwork (Berkeley) and love Pulp. Kingmatt is on the right track, I’m convinced that virtually everything Fieldwork brews has tons of oats, only way I know to get the mouthfeel (subliminal 6 sense umami I call it). While Pulp is heavy on Citra, I don’t think that’s the only variety in it. Pils malt (or mostly pils) is also a good bet. Water profile is well known, Trumer Brewery is about 3-4 blocks away from the Fieldwork brewery. The story is that Trumer (400 year old Salsburg Austria brewer) wanted to open a US brewery, they searched pH and mineral content through the US and settled on Berkeley as the water is nearly identical to their Salsburg brewery. This happens to be the same water district as the water I use. Given the sediment in the bottom of the glass and the virtual lack of bitterness I would say early hop additions are very minimal with significant dry hopping. I also taste Galaxy in Pulp, but seems to be used to balance out the Citra. I want to brew this soon so any feedback on what was found would be a huge help. I will also post my recipe if I get close to the original.

Man this was a while back, fieldwork has grown very rapidly in popularity. I never got around to actually making it but Id be happy to give it a try. I think you are right on the grainbill. 2row, pils, carapils, maybe corn sugar to dry it out. Id go with RO water and build it up to 200 cacl and 100 so4. Use no bittering addition and go all citra. big additions at 10, flame out, and whirlpool 180 degrees. then standard double dry hop at 4 days and after fermentation. You may be right about Galaxy. If you live by Berkeley id stop by and just ask, they might be happy to give you atleast that info.

Direct from the head brewer from one of their podcasts. I think this is one of their standard recipes. He is a HUGE fan of pilsner malt. They use it as the base for everything (even their stouts), from what he says.

60% pilsner
20% maris otter or GP
10% wheat
10% oats

Vermont yeast

Back