Fiddlehead IPA- hops used

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheikyerbouti

Reaction score
Love Fiddlehead IPA, only info I know is ~6.5%, 53 IBUs, 1 bittering and 3 dry hops. Aroma is full of pine, earth and resembles weed. No clones and the brewery is not interested in sharing guesses at hops used, which I understand.

I'm thinking the dry hop is a blend of Centennial, Columbus and perhaps Chinook. Brewed a 10g batch yesterday, plan on hopping entire batch with Chinook and Columbus, then splitting the 2 kegs with Centennial and Columbus in one, Chinook and Columbus in the other.

Anyone have any opinion of the hops used in this fantastic beer?

Great beer and you're probably not far off. Wouldn't surprise me if they also use some Simcoe in there.

Great beer and you're probably not far off. Wouldn't surprise me if they also use some Simcoe in there.
I was just talking to a buddie of mine and was telling him how dank the recent FIddlehead batches have been.

From experience of brewing tins of hop forward(primarily NEIPA) and getting a pretty good grasp of the typical hop character of most hops I would think they are using one of these combos. I am pretty confident about the Columbus and Citra

1) Columbus, Cascade(possibly good centennial) Citra at 2:2:1 ratio

2) Columbus, Simcoe, Citra

I was just talking to a buddie of mine and was telling him how dank the recent FIddlehead batches have been.

From experience of brewing tins of hop forward(primarily NEIPA) and getting a pretty good grasp of the typical hop character of most hops I would think they are using one of these combos. I am pretty confident about the Columbus and Citra

1) Columbus, Cascade(possibly good centennial) Citra at 2:2:1 ratio

2) Columbus, Simcoe, Citra

Not a fan of Fiddlehead but this is a much better beer than Second Fiddle.

Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, Galaxy according to http://burlingtonbeer.blogspot.com/2012/02/fiddlehead-ipa.html?m=1

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with Simcoe. I hate to use that stupid word 'dank', but it really applies here.

For my 10g test batch I made yesterday, I only did a WP addition of 5.75oz citra and 5 oz amarillo. Only reason I used those hops was I had some older stock I wanted to cycle out of. I think both of those will take a back seat to Columbus and Chinook in the dry hop.

Now I think I'll split the keg dry hop columbus/chinook for 1 keg and columbus/simcoe in the other. Neighbor is bringing back some Fiddlehead cans tomorrow for more research :)

Any update on this one? Love fiddlehead ipa and would like to try to match the hop profile

I can definitely smell Columbus and possibly Amarillo but I wonder if Citra might be part of that equation b/c it’s fairly similar Fort Point by trillium which is columbus/Citra

fiddlehead ipa has one other element outside those two but I don’t get Galexy.

I can definitely smell Columbus and possibly Amarillo but I wonder if Citra might be part of that equation b/c it’s fairly similar Fort Point by trillium which is columbus/Citra

fiddlehead ipa has one other element outside those two but I don’t get Galexy.
I agree on no Galaxy personally. Citra Amarillo and Columbus would make sense, especial since that’s the hops in Juice bomb by sloop and I think those beers are almost identical

Unless you have their hops it would be pretty hard to replicate exactly. Brewers will purposely select late harvest to amplify the dank/weed character of certain varieties.

I would agree that Citra/Amarillo/Columbus is probably a solid foundation. Apollo and Simcoe could be in there too.

Yeah I agree you can never exactly “clone” any beer but I like to use commercial examples as inspiration.

I try to make a Strong Golden like Duvel, but know that I’ll never match their 50+ years of experience on my little stovetop with a mesh bag lolz.

Back