FG too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBhamBrewer

Reaction score
So I brewed two beers a few weeks ago (A pumpkin ale and a Breakfast Stout). The FG came in way lower than I intended probably due to using dry yeast for the first time and fermenting at a higher temperature. I know I can use lactose sugar to boost the FG, but are there any other options besides this to bring it up 5-7 points? Just curious.

What was your target OG? And your finish reading? I had an oatmeal sout do the same thing. The reading changed a little in the secondary. Right about 3.94% ABV.

Matodextrin powder should be available at your homebrew shop as well; MD will add body without much sweetness, whereas lactose will add both body and a faint sweetness.

However, are there problems with the beers as-is? I know it's a little hard to judge until they're carbed up, but try a sample now. Just because they finished low doesn't mean they don't already have all the body and sweetness they need. Lower levels of carbonation can also help beers at lower FG have a fuller mouthfeel as well.

Once a beer is finished fermenting, it's better to just not mess with it. Take notes, and adjust on your next brew. Messing with beer on the cold side rarely works out.

Back