FG too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danbcha

Reaction score
I have had an oatmeal stout in primary for just under 7 days. I tested FG today and it should've been 1.016 - 1.020 but was still over 1.030. Do I just let it go for another 7 days and hope it comes down? Do I add more sugar or yeast? First time to ha issue (only my second brew hahaha).

I didn't rehydrate the yeast.

7 days is really too soon to be taking gravity readings. I would let that go about 3 weeks before packaging

if the gravity still is that high after 2 weeks, you could add some amylase enzyme or some high attenuating yeast to finish it off

what was the recipes grain bill,mash schedule? and yeast

Ok, it said it was a two week total fermentation so I was just going off of that. Nottingham if I'm not mistaken. Grain bill? It was 1lb oats, 10oz dark choc, 12 oz 2-row pale, 6 oz victory. Is that what you're asking about?

Mash schedule? No idea. Boiled 1 oz Brewer's Gold Hops for 60 minutes.

Measured with hydrometer. OG was 1.072. Recipe says it'll fall to 1.020-1.016. Called for 6 days of ferm.

OK so this is a Partial Mash, extract based recipe. Extract recipes have a tendency to not hit their intended FG

6 days of fermentation is way too short. Stouts in particular benefit from longer conditioning. That's also a pretty high OG so this would further the need to give it time. Leave it for now, check on it in a week. Whether or not the gravity drops, it still needs time to condition. You can try adding more yeast if needed then

Thank you sir. I'm leaving in primary instead of moving it today. Hopefully it'll come on down. I'll keep you guys updated.

oh, that explains the 6day thing. Yeah no need to secondary it. Just leave it in the primary. Today's yeasts are much less prone to autolysis. You can safely leave it on the original yeast cake for months on end without issue

1 gallon or 5? If 1 gallon, that's a lot of chocolate.

If 1 gallon, what mash temp?

Let it sit another week or even another 10 days. Don't rush beer because someone wrote when fermentation will end. Fermentation ends when you measure the gravity and it doesn't change over a couple days.

Back