FG Reading and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samiley216

Reaction score
Morning!
Had a quick question regarding fg before bottling. My brown ale reached fg this morning and i want to wait another day or so to confirm another fg reading. Question is - how long can I allow the beer to sit between fg reached and bottling?
Reason i ask is I have almost all of the bottles ready to be sanitized, however, not all of them. Would a day or two be OK? I would hate to get this far and F it up.

Thanks!

If you've just reached FG, the best can sit for a couple weeks at least.

In fact, if it's been less than two or three weeks since brewing, I'd wait even after FG is reached. The yeast are still busy working, even after fermentation is ended. After the fermentable sugar is gone, they will then digest their own waste products (like diacetyl) leaving a better tasting beer and the beer will begin to clear.

I never bottle a beer that is less than 3-4 weeks old- the beer is actually better for it most of the time. There are some occasions when young beer is ok- like a mild, or a hefe, so I hate making blanket statements like that. But I wouldn't hesitate to leave it for a while longer, no matter what the style.

thanks for the help - now heres a noob question but how can I sucessfully transfer from primary to secondary without airating the brew? siphon?

i know... DWRHAHB

Yes, a siphon is perfect. One tip is to put the end of the tubing at the very bottom of the receiving carboy, so that it doesn't splash and aerate going into the fermenter.

Back