FG Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggg3988

Reaction score
Iv tried this recipe about 5 times with about the same results. New to brewing. Is my FG where it should be ?. Any comments or advise would be great. I make 5 gal. batches.

2#s munich grain
1# aromatic grain
1# cara munich grain
@ 158' for 1 hr.
add 8#s pilsner LME
1-1/2 oz. magnum flower hops
boil 45 min. add 1/2 oz. magnum hops
boil 15 min. add another 1/2 oz. hops for 5 min.
cool and add 1 pkg. # 1007 yeast
ferment @ 67' 15 days to 20 days
OG is 1066 +/-
FG is 1030

Should my FG be lower ?
Thanks Gary

First of all, I'm assuming that you are doing 5 gallons? I think your FG should definitely be lower. The first thing I noticed is that with an OG of 1.066 and only one pack of 1007, you are under pitching your yeast. Using Mrmalty you should be pitching 2.5 packs if you are not making a starter. I would suggest making a starter. More yeast should help you get your FG down.

Only brewing about 4 months now. Having a great time. Learn every day. Books and this sight, I am seeing things about yeast starters and or # of pkgs. Needed. Guess I should look into yeast starters. With time and practice and records my beer is getting better. Thanks for the input, that's what I need
Gary

Should be much lower. Not sure what you have done wrong. You have under-pitched, but should have done better.

Try a different yeast next time. Try a dry yeast like S-04, and see what happens.

Based on your numbers you didn't get much out of your mash. For 5 gallons te LME will give you 1.057, so the grains only gave you 45 points; that's only 25% mash efficiency.

Another possibility is that you got a bad OG reading (wort not fully mixed), and you had a much higher gravity, with a lot of unfermentables from the grain. If you got 80% efficiency, your gravity would have been 1.081. Ending at 1.033 would be 60% attenuation; that's not great, but you mashed high and could have a lot of unfermentables. Try mashing in the low 150s next time.

Learning theirs a lot more than just a recipe and cooking it. I will learn and have a great time doing it
Gary

The learning process is endless, just keep reading and asking questions. This is a great place to have your questions answered! Let us know your equipment and brewing process and you might be able to get back some more detailed feedback. Under pitching the yeast was just the first and most obvious thing that stood out to me.

Latest posts

Back