FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a stout, you may not get under 1.020 or so. There are many factors involved in attenuation- from the yeast strain used, the ingredients in the beer, the temperatures, the health of the yeast, etc.

If you post your recipe and process, we can see if that's a reasonable FG for you. I had several extract beers that would never get below 1.020 no matter what. I assume it was the extract I used, and the amount of non-fermentables I had.

In a stout, 1.020 may be perfectly acceptable. I'd wait another week or two, and check it again. If it's still the same, it would be safe to bottle.

midwest extract kit: oatmeal stout w/steeping grains and dry yeast. It's my first batch and was concerned since the recipe stated that it should hit a FG of 1.012-1.014...

I will let it sit :)

Midwest kit...did you use the Munton's yeast that came with the kit? If so, your FG will may not get any lower. Back when I was using the yeast that came with Midwest's kits I bottled a lot of beer that got stuck on the dreaded 1.020.

Back