FG of 1.011 to 1.009?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillC25

Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you ahead of time for humoring all of my newbie questions.... :eek: that said, I bottled my first batch tonight with a final gravity of 1.00 (possibly 1.009) but the temp was at 70F, so I am guessing that the FG is bt 1.011 and 1.009.

Is this low?

I did not take a SG at the begining... but the kit instructions say it should finish at about 1.012-1.013.

Will I have to drink my 5 gallons to get a buzzzz? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

thank you all.

since i didnt do a sg, i used the sheet that came with the hydrometer (potential alcohol index) and it said something like 2% for 1.009
:( anyway- it's my first batch... and i'm sure im just worrying

cheers!

The way you calculate alcohol is by taking the difference between the Original Gravity alcohol index (on your sheet) and the final gravity alcohol index. Your FG sounds fine as long as you had a normal OG.

Jill, understand that a lower FG means higher alcohol. Lower gravity means less sugar, which means more alcohol. So your beer would be weaker if it had finished at 12-13

And yeah, you're worrying too much. Just drink a couple and see how strong it is. It's only your first batch after all. You can make more if you want to change something :)

Cheers :D

Back