FG Not Reached

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
Hello. I made a milk stout with an OG of 1.067 and the FG was supposed to be about 1.012-1.014. After 3 weeks it seems stable at about 1.018. I want to bottle, but I'm not sure if I should try and get the FG down a bit more.

Should I repitch at all, or would I be ok to bottle?

If it's really a milk stout, it likely has lactose in it, which is unfermentable. In any case there's supposed to be residual sweetness in the style. I would just leave it alone and make sure it stays at 1.018 before packaging, but no way would I attempt to dry it out any more. You're already at 73% attenuation. That's plenty.

Great, thank you! I guess I wanted to avoid it dropping further once it's primed and bottled, if that's even possible.

For a milk stout at 1.018 you are most likely done. Give a day or two and if it stays the same bottle it up.

Agree with everyone else here. Depending on how much lactose you used ( usually 0.5 to 1 lb for me) its definitely done. I've never had a sweet stout finish much below 1.020. If it did, I did something wrong

Most online calculators I've seen count lactose as fermentable for some reason so it always predicts a much lower fg for sweet stouts than you'll get

It sounds done, and a projected FG of 1.012 is unrealistic for that beer style as a rule although I have seen a couple go that low. 1.016-1.024 is much more realistic. I don't know where your projected FG came from, but it's not realistic.

I used 1 lb of lactose. I got the predicted FG when I plugged everything into Beersmith.

I feel confident now that it is done and ready to bottle. Im excited about this one, the sample tasted soo good.

Thanks everyone.

Back