FG is high, should I bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemleu

Reaction score
The short story is I used Nottingham Yeast in my Nut Brown Ale. There are a lot of posts regarding Nottingham, and this lot number was problematic. Anyway, my FG is 1.020, and it’s been that way for a week. (I started this batch two weeks ago) My FG should be 1.010-1.016.

Should I bottle – if not do I just dump it?

Why on earth would you dump it? 1.020 may have just a tad on more sweetness than you planned for, but is certainly very drinkable. What was the starting gravity?

There are several factors that can effect you finished gravity from older or tired yeast, improper yeast pitching rate, more unfermentable sugars than you anticipated, under oxygenating of the wort, to cool a fermentation temp. Regardless of what caused it, 1.020 should be a completely drinkable brew.

Thank you. My SG was 1.060. From all the posts I've read, it was the Nottingham yeast. Some people have been able to pitch more yeast, but it's not available in my area.

Notty is generally speaking pretty decent yeast. I'mnot familiar with the problematic lot number, but Notty normally would have no problem with a pack used in 1.060 wort. Like I said there may be just a tad more residual sweetness than you planned for, but it should still be yummy. You often find sweetness in some Browns depending on the recipe. You may find out you even like it. Bottle that bad boy and enjoy!

Cheers

:mug:

I've had an autumn amber ale stuck at 1.02 for a week, (my second batch, a extract kit from Midwest) so I increased the room temp to the upper range of the yeast(70 degrees), pitched another pack of yeast, stirred up the fermenter and now finally I'm seeing bubbles in the airlock. So, I think the problem is solved. Of course, now I'm going to have to wait another week to let the batch finish up and the suspended yeast settle out again before I bottle but at least I'll bet I'll reach my FG now.

Back