FG a little high on this Dortmunder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyross

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what I should do with this Dortmunder. Expected FG was 1.010, but it finished at 1.015. It tastes pretty good, but it's a touch sweet. Recipe is as follows:

88.6% Pilsner
11.4% Munich

OG 1.055
Mashed at 152F

Safale W-34/70. 2 packets into 3L starter

Fermented in low 50s for 4 days, then let drift up to 65F. Fermentation was vigorous for the first few days. Last few days ramped up to 70F. Total fermentation time was 2 weeks.

After fermentation I cold crashed for 1 week. The first time I checked the gravity was when I kegged and discovered it was still at 1.015.

My question at this point is, are there likely any fermentable sugars left? Considering the starter size (3L), apparently vigorous fermentation and 3-day diacetyl rest at 70F, it's hard to imagine there are fermentable sugars left. But this is only my second lager, so I'd like to know what others think.

Other than yeast stopping early, I suppose I could have unknowingly mashed too high. I logged a 152F mash temp, but it's possible my thermometer is jacked or I had some kind of brain fart.

Carb and drink the beer? Do a fast fermentation test? Bring it to room temp and pitch some more yeast into the keg?

What do you think?

I would have expected about a 1.011 or 1.012 FG. You're done. Just brew it again and calibrate your thermometer, and oxygenate.

If you made a starter with dry yeast, they used their reserves to grow in the starter and would not have enough when put in the wort, so you should have oxygenated.

If you made a starter with dry yeast, they used their reserves to grow in the starter and would not have enough when put in the wort, so you should have oxygenated.

I aerated the wort by shaking the carboy for 1 minute prior to pitching the starter. Is this not sufficient for w-34/70?

Last edited:
I know fast lagers are the fashion, Brulosphy and all, but why the hurry? I suspect if you did the same batch but had let it ferment for a month at 50f then lagered it for a month at 35, you'd be a few points lower.

dry hop it.
whaaaaaaat am i saying? sacrilige.
015 isnt too bad though, dont think its worth messing with

I pitch 34/70 dry right into the carboy with no FG problems. It is a great yeast. I would think your mash may be the likely issue. I usually mash a little lower, and get down under 1.010

You should also let it sit a little longer. The sweetness could also be from being too green. If you let it sit for another month, that will go away.

Latest posts

Back