FG 1.030, Could this be bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
The beer I am making is a barley wine, I started at 1.100 (suppose to be 1.120) and estimates FG was suppose to 1.030 and my FG is reading the 1.030. Question is since my OG was lower should my FG be lower. It was a partial mash, and my mash is why I got lower than I should have.

Estimated avb is around 9.5%, yeast was a champagne yeast (don't ask questions, I won't be doing this next time) and amylase was used to eat up complex sugars into simple.

I didn't think in had to be too worried, but I kinda want to hear what others say. I haven't bottled yet. It's In Tertiary and going to bulk age for a little while. I will drop some more yeast and add priming sugar before bottling.

Malt extracts are not as attenuative as you might think and perhaps you added other unfermentables in there too. But, it pretty much sounds like its done. I just racked a BW after 4 weeks to a keg, OG was 1.100 like yours and it was at 1.029. I moved a good amount of yeast with it so it will probably drop a few more points over the next few months. But, what is important is it had the character I was looking for as I am making a bourbon oaked BW that I want to have a heavy rich warming character for the winter...and that is what is important, it isn't bad if it tastes good (and you know its fully attenuated, don't want a bottle bomb)

Malt extracts are not as attenuative as you might think and perhaps you added other unfermentables in there too. But, it pretty much sounds like its done. I just racked a BW after 4 weeks to a keg, OG was 1.100 like yours and it was at 1.029. I moved a good amount of yeast with it so it will probably drop a few more points over the next few months. But, what is important is it had the character I was looking for as I am making a bourbon oaked BW that I want to have a heavy rich warming character for the winter...and that is what is important, it isn't bad if it tastes good (and you know its fully attenuated, don't want a bottle bomb)

1.100 Bourbon Oaked Berliner Weisse? Sweet :drunk:

Bensiff said:

Well I figure it was done. Taste is good with a slight warming feeling.. It's where I want... Wish my mash was better. Just wanted too see what others said just cause this is my first HG beer. It was about 65% extract, the rest was grains. Still mostly extract. Thanks for the help. I am sure this is going to age well.

If you're PM'ing your OG is not going to be off by 10 points. You get more flavor from a PM than you do gravity points. Maybe you got shorted on extract or you didn't add enough?

It's the yeast's fault. Champagne yeast can't handle some types of sugars.

DrHop said:
It's the yeast's fault. Champagne yeast can't handle some types of sugars.

I used amylase to break down the complex sugars to simple. If it was that than my gravity would have stopped at around 1.050-55. I already found out that champagne yeast cant eat complex sugars. That's why I won't do it again. My lhbs didn't have anything that could handle HG cept that, at the time. And we had a time limit to brew by.

Also I did take a gravity reading of my PM and it was off, of what it should have been. Extract was correct though. Was their watching as he poured it.

I think it's going to be ok, will see. Thanks for all the help though.

Not to interupt, but this was the closest thread to my question, without starting my own....i brewed a Rye Amber and over shot my OG (was looking for 1.058, it was 1.074....used malted rye instead of the flaked that the recipe called for, but didnt reverse compensate, oh well lol) my question is, i tested the gravity 3 days in a row and it was exactly the same all 3 days (1.022, was hoping for 1.015), racked it to my secondary and after a few days, its bubbling again, like 4-5 times per minute....its obviously still fermenting, but is there a way to speed it up, or should i just wait it out? (not impatient, just curious)

homebrewfrank said:
Not to interupt, but this was the closest thread to my question, without starting my own....i brewed a Rye Amber and over shot my OG (was looking for 1.058, it was 1.074....used malted rye instead of the flaked that the recipe called for, but didnt reverse compensate, oh well lol) my question is, i tested the gravity 3 days in a row and it was exactly the same all 3 days (1.022, was hoping for 1.015), racked it to my secondary and after a few days, its bubbling again, like 4-5 times per minute....its obviously still fermenting, but is there a way to speed it up, or should i just wait it out? (not impatient, just curious)

Well I would feel better about 1.022 than the 1.030 I got. I have had beers there. But wait it out, u will prolly drop a few more points closer. Some of the bubbles coming out are just disturbed CO2 and some is from fermentation starting back up. Wait till a day or two before u move from secondary and take a reading.It sounds like everything is just fine. give us an update when u get it.

Latest posts

Back