FG 1.022 Too High for American Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDarcy

Reaction score
Please tell me where I went “wrong:”

So, I brewed an American Stout (based on a Zainasheff style profile in BYO). For me, it’s a “big” beer, but I think it’s also relatively big for the style: Targeted OG = 1.072 (which I hit). I pitched with WLP007 (instead of WLP001), mashed (accidentally) at 156F (instead of the targeted 154F), and replaced about 4.5 ounces of 2-row with Carapils. I guess my thinking here was that since my previous experience with WLP007 suggested high attenuation and a dry beer, I should add some Carapils for mouthfeel. Anyhow, I expected my FG to be at or below the targeted 1.017-1.019, but I’m at 1.022 and I wonder what, if anything, I should do about it. Or, is this to be expected? Is this OK for the style?

Here’s the recipe and details. Please note that 3 days after pitching, the gravity measured 1.026. After it completed the fermentation schedule (below) if had only reached 1.022:

Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 45.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
13 lbs 3.2 oz Brewer's Malt, 2-Row
14.6 oz Black Barley
10.9 oz Chocolate Dark 6-Row
10.9 oz Crystal 40
4.3 oz Carapils
1.25 oz Horizon [11.20 %] - Boil 60.0
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) in 1.75L starter

Fermentation:
66F for 3 days
Raise 2F/day for 3 days to 72F
Hold at 72F for 3 days
Drop 2F/day for 3 days to 66F

I know wlp 007 is a high attenuater but with a beer with a high O.G, High mash temperature, carapils and crystal malt, I'm not really surprised to see an attenuation of 68%.

I find its okay for the style a bit on the malty/sweet side of it.

I you to dry it out a bit more you could try to 'Rouse' the yeast [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hySxMc48y2Q[/ame].

I also used amylase once in my stout to dry it out by a few points.

for next time mash lower and you could reduce amount of carapils/crystal.

Amylase takes forever at room temperature. Rousing the yeast risks oxidation but is a better bet.

Failing that pull a sample and see how it tastes. Fg is not necessarily an indication of residual sweetness because it all depends on what the residual dextrins are. If the beer is too sweet use iso alpha acid extract at bottling to balance out the IBU/fg ratio

Back