Few scratches in primary lid: Chunk it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
Today I started cleaning my primary bin after racking my first batch. Before thinking about it, I'd grabbed a brush from the kitchen sink and went to town on the lid.

Opps, I see scratches now.

Now the scratches are small, and again it's the primary LID and not the bucket itself. This should be ok, right? As long as I make sure that I sanitize the lid pretty well with bleach when I use it next, there's no realistic chance of contaminating my next batch, is there?

toss it and get a new lid. karusen may reach the lid and pick up a contaminant. bacteria are subject to gravity and move down. accidents happen and wort dose hit the lid sometimes. its cheaper to replace a lid or even a full bucket than to waste a batch of beer.

I'd keep it; the risk of an infection is pretty small.

Having said that, so is the cost of replacing it if you really need peace of mind.

I would buy one if it is under 10 bucks. Like above, the peace of mind is nice.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get one immediately. You'll probably be fine, but for the long haul I'd replace it. Or better yet, get another fermenter. Perfect chance to upgrade.

Here's where I throw out the suggestion that you should invest in a good no rinse sanitizer rather than your bleach. For example: Star-San. If you are worried about infection, then you should be using an effective sanitizer that doesn't require rinsing with water which may be unsanitary.

If the scratches are on the OUTSIDE of the lid, you'll be fine. Otherwise, I'd replace it, but if you need an excuse for an updgrade this is your chance.

its a good chance for an upgrade but apart from that it shouldn't cause any problems. If your krausen reaches the lid then the levels of co2 should be sufficient to purge any bacteria. Just make sure you thoroughly sanitise as usual and you wont have nay problems IMO.

Yesterday I did call my LHBS and a replacement lid is a whopping $2.50. I'll go that route instead of taking even the slightest chance.

Thanks to all.

Back