Few questions about what to do with my yeast starter..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FalconsBrew

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a high OG (1.085) beer this Saturday. Please forgive my noobiness if I say something incorrectly!

Should I just make a 2 L starter and decant or make a 2 step/stage 1 L yeast starter?

Either way I plan to decant so I guess it doesn't really matter?

Also, is it needed to add a small amt of wort to get the yeast active again after cold crashing? Perhaps on brew day?

I know these questions have been answered a million times, I just couldn't really find what I wanted in terms of answers.

Thanks in advance guys.

No need to add wort. Put your starter in the fridge the night before brew day, remove about the time you start your brew session, decant and place on counter to warm up while your brewing. This is my method, always seems to workout well for me when I make my starter just a few days in advance. Usually have signs of fermentation in a few hours after pitching.

As far as size/steps of your starter. That big of a beer requires a pretty significant starter (assuming no stir plate). www.mrmalty.com and www.yeastcalc.com are two useful tools for planning your starter size based on beer to be brewed. The ladder allows you to "create" a stepped starter if that is necessary for your setup.

playing around with mrmalty, it looks like a 2 L starter is probably what is needed.

Back