Few questions about brewing / fermenting in a different location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lex990

Reaction score
Am going to do a biab stout on tues at my parents house. I am going to put my primary in their basement shower hooked to a blowoff tube since it is too cold in my garage to use my fermenting fridge and keep in the low 60's. I'm am guessing if I shut the door and close the air vent in the bathroom it should stay about 67 degrees in the room. I am doing a 1.083 oatmeal milk stout and I am using a pack s-04 yeast for the stout. A few questions I have are 1. Since in this brew there will be quite a bit of simple sugars, I am wondering if I should put the Carboy in a tub of water to help pull any exothermic heat away from the Carboy since I can't get the surrounding temp to 63. Was thinking the tub of water would help keep a more stable temp.

Second. I am going to brew on 11-8 and Was hoping to bottle on 11-25. I originally hoped to leave in primary for 30 days but time is kinda scare right now. Would it be ok to bottle on the 25th and let the bottles condition at 70 degrees for 3 weeks so they will be ready for Christmas?

The reason I am brewing there is I am leaving to go to our river house and we will be over there from 11-8 to 11-16 and back for thanks giving. I am really stoked about this brew and just trying to avoid any off flavors

Given your circumstances, sounds like you have the right idea. If the room stays around 67 then it might be a good idea to put it in water and monitor the temp if you can. If you can't go by your parents regularly then it will be difficult but as long as you can monitor the fermenting temp you'll probably be fine. That's a pretty big beer to bottle after only a couple weeks but check your gravity before you bottle and hopefully it is somewhat close to your targeted final. The 3 weeks in the bottle at 70 should help. Overall given your circumstances sounds like you have it under control.

I could brew here at home tomorrow. However. Since we are gonna be gone I can put it in a tub of water in our dining room and set the heat on 63. However when we come back. It would go in our coat closet after 12 days. And the temp will be about 70. Since the most active fermentation will be done by then. This should be ok and not produce off flavors right. I am really wanting to hit my fg so If you guys think it will have a hard time hitting it in 17 days. I may just have to improvise. Is temperature stability as important during week 3 And 4 as the first two? If it can handle 68-74 during the last few weeks I may be able to swing it here at home

Back