Fermzilla issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowDogCider

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this! So here goes.
I bought a Fermzilla conical fermenter 7.1.
First brew cycle went great. Cleaning is/was a pain in the a$$! Everything is freakin tight!
I’ve gone through this three times!!!
Getting this thing apart is just plain frustration!!! I broke and replaced the bottom catch cup. I’ve tried adding food grade lube to the seals! I use their helper handle. I think I stripped the seal holder on the bottom of the container! I’m ready to throw this freakin thing off an overpass and watch big rigs roll it over!
Can anyone offer some advice on how I can save this monster piece of garbage??
Sigh....

I have the flat bottom. I will say that it is in my nature to "tighten it up so it won't leak". It's a beast to get the ring off and pull the lid out. Today while cleaning, I was far less aggressive and probably only went "finger tight". I flipped it upside down in a bucket to soak for half an hour. Didn't lose a drop. Maybe try not tightening things quite so much.
hope this helps
homebrudoc

I have the flat bottom. I will say that it is in my nature to "tighten it up so it won't leak". It's a beast to get the ring off and pull the lid out. Today while cleaning, I was far less aggressive and probably only went "finger tight". I flipped it upside down in a bucket to soak for half an hour. Didn't lose a drop. Maybe try not tightening things quite so much.
hope this helps
homebrudoc

I'm thinking this. I broke that "tool". The bottom container has been screwed on for the last 4 brews and can't harvest the yeast. I pbw the bottom pretty strong. If I ever get it off I'm not going to tighten it very hard. It would be nice if there was something to grip onto. pain in the ass

I have the bigger firmzilla. Other than that container, I like it.

My Fermzilla lid could be 10 times tighter and I could easily loosen it with a good strap wrench and a good whack with my hand or a hammer. The lid also requires a screwdriver or similar to pry up. There is no need to fight it. You just need the correct tools.

My Fermzilla lid could be 10 times tighter and I could easily loosen it with a good strap wrench and a good whack with my hand or a hammer. The lid also requires a screwdriver or similar to pry up. There is no need to fight it. You just need the correct tools.

Can you recommend a good strap wrench? I'll order it Pronto lol

I ended up giving up on taking the damn thing apart. Started my batch of cider in a cheap ass brew bucket. In the process I think I might of stripped the bottom seal ring of the Fermzilla ! I haven’t touched the thing in a few days!
It’s like you need to get it tight enough for it not to leak, but you can’t tighten it so tight that you can’t get it apart! It sucks trying to find the sweet spot.
All I want to do is clean it so I can use it again.
thanks for helping and hearing my frustration!’
Jeff

I ended up giving up on taking the damn thing apart. Started my batch of cider in a cheap ass brew bucket. In the process I think I might of stripped the bottom seal ring of the Fermzilla ! I haven’t touched the thing in a few days!
It’s like you need to get it tight enough for it not to leak, but you can’t tighten it so tight that you can’t get it apart! It sucks trying to find the sweet spot.
All I want to do is clean it so I can use it again.
thanks for helping and hearing my frustration!’
Jeff

Why not let it soak in hot PBW and open close the value frequently to clean it out. Along with a long carboy brush. I've gone 3 brews without taking it off. No problem. Obviously Not what you want but you can still use it.

Why not let it soak in hot PBW and open close the value frequently to clean it out. Along with a long carboy brush. I've gone 3 brews without taking it off. No problem. Obviously Not what you want but you can still use it.
Very true. That would have been smart. It’s supposed to be easy to take apart, kind of why I bought it in the first place. Lol
Thanks for the advice! 👍🏻👍🏻

Not sure where to post this! So here goes.
I bought a Fermzilla conical fermenter 7.1.
First brew cycle went great. Cleaning is/was a pain in the a$$! Everything is freakin tight!
I’ve gone through this three times!!!
Getting this thing apart is just plain frustration!!! I broke and replaced the bottom catch cup. I’ve tried adding food grade lube to the seals! I use their helper handle. I think I stripped the seal holder on the bottom of the container! I’m ready to throw this freakin thing off an overpass and watch big rigs roll it over!
Can anyone offer some advice on how I can save this monster piece of garbage??
Sigh....

Hey just fyi. Picked this up from Home Depot yesterday and was a piece of cake to get off... (see attached)

Attachments

• 20210315_130924.jpg
    20210315_130924.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Back