Fermonster gasket question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it stretched at all, i.e., you're stretching it to get it into the slot?

Do you have any keg lube? I'd use some of that on it and see if it helps get it seated properly.

No stretching. If that is the right place then I think the gasket is too big (not thick, but made for a circle with a larger diameter). In that picture it is sitting in the channel except for the 12 o'clock position, where it curls out because there's an inch of channel and two inches of gasket left.

Mines the same way. I am currently fermenting without it.. because it fell in when I was putting the lid on after I pitched the yeast. So make sure you sanitize and are extra careful.

Subbed, since I was looking at the Fermonster as a viable option to feed my current desire to get rid of my traditionally shaped carboys.

I was guessing that, as the above poster is (albeit unintentionally) doing, brewing without the gasket should be an option. The seal, even without the gasket, would probably be at least as good (probably much better) than an AlePail.

Subbed, since I was looking at the Fermonster as a viable option to feed my current desire to get rid of my traditionally shaped carboys.

I was guessing that, as the above poster is (albeit unintentionally) doing, brewing without the gasket should be an option. The seal, even without the gasket, would probably be at least as good (probably much better) than an AlePail.

Yeah it seems to be okay. The other nice thing about this is it's only 30 bucks for a 7 gallon fermenter (and they make them with spigots now) you can just use an airlock because it can handle a vigorous fermentation with the extra room. Some people still might want to use a blow off, but an airlock works just fine for me. Other than the gasket issue, no complaints.

You have to be careful putting these in. Don't drag your finger around pushing it in as that will stretch it slightly. If you just lay it in and use something like a flat tip screwdriver to press it down it will fit fine. The keg lube idea is good if you have trouble sealing it. Mine did the same thing first time but it works great and I love this big fermenter.

Thanks everyone. I ended up laying it nearly in place but not quite in that channel. I think as long as it sits between the neck and the cap it should do the job. I'll probably order a new one for next time.

I ended up going ahead and using it as is. I figured the gasket would seal around the threads. It seemed to work fine, but then I couldn't get the cap off without cracking it. Anyway, morebeer was great and replaced both the cap and the gasket. I think I'm likely to buy a second fermonster.

I think that is just the size of the gasket. I've got one that looks identical to yours if it pops out of the channel. I just used my finger and ran it around in a circle to push it back down into place. Somehow it ends up back in the channel and looks normal. Every couple of brews it seems to fall out again and I have to shove it back down. Works great though, I love my Fermonsters.

I think that is just the size of the gasket. I've got one that looks identical to yours if it pops out of the channel. I just used my finger and ran it around in a circle to push it back down into place. Somehow it ends up back in the channel and looks normal. Every couple of brews it seems to fall out again and I have to shove it back down. Works great though, I love my Fermonsters.

The new gasket and cap arrived and looked exactly like the first. :mad:

Just to prove you wrong I tried to stick in in there like you said, all the while muttering to myself, "there's no way this fits...see whenever i push it down here it pops up there...there it goes again...he doesn't know what he's talking about....its just too...oh...there we go. well how about that." :smack:

Its baffling, I agree. I'm not exactly sure how it manages to fit back in the channel all snug, but it does.

This is an old thread I know but I was annoyed with this same issue. I thought for sure the gasket was the wrong size and was ready to give up and go back to my bucket. I found their video at https://www.morebeer.com/videos/94 and did what the guy said for a minute or two. As if by magic, it seated properly and became the "right" size. Just keep going around pushing it down and where ever it's stretched will settle into the track and you'll be good to go.

I ended up going ahead and using it as is. I figured the gasket would seal around the threads. It seemed to work fine, but then I couldn't get the cap off without cracking it. Anyway, morebeer was great and replaced both the cap and the gasket. I think I'm likely to buy a second fermonster.

I have found that you don't want to screw the lid on very tight, because then it is much harder to unscrew. I also found that a strap wrench is very handy for loosening the lid if I get it too tight.

Strap wrench.jpg

Brew on :mug:

I have found that you don't want to screw the lid on very tight, because then it is much harder to unscrew. I also found that a strap wrench is very handy for loosening the lid if I get it too tight.

That's Brilliant Doug!

My gasket came out too. All you have to do is lay it in the cap and slowly work it in the groove by pressing it down. Don't run your nail or what ever around it, just press straight down.

When my gasket wasn't seated, I got no action in my airlock. Zero, Zilch, Nada. for a 6% beer.

Latest posts

Back