Fermentor vs Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you spell the word used to refer to a fermentation vessel?

• Up until now I used "fermenter." After reading this I'm still using "fermenter."

• Up until now I used "fermenter." After reading this I'm using "fermentor."

• Up until now I used "fermentor." After reading this I'm still using "fermentor."

• Up until now I used "fermentor." After reading this I'm using "fermenter."

Results are only viewable after voting.

ocluke

Reaction score
There seems to be confusion over the two words fermentor and fermenter.

I've encountered this problem a couple of times when selling or searching for a conical or other fermentation vessel on Craigslist, Ebay, Homebrewtalk, etc. Let me be clear, I'm not posting this to be a spelling nazi or anything. Only to get a better gauge of what spelling others are using.

A brief Google search brought me the following results:

All that to say, it seems that the general consensus is that fermentor is the proper term used for a fermentation vessel, while fermenter is an agent causing fermentation (i.e. yeast), but is often used to refer to the vessel fermentation is happening in.

So, what say you? What's your vote?

That would be consistent with the latin suffix -tor/tore., which became -or in english. Elevator, editor, fermentor, etc.

Google/ spellcheck gives me trouble either way I spell it, so I go with fermenter. I think fermentor looks like a Norse god or something. Based on that, though, maybe I'll switch. Kyle

I am the "Primary Fermenter" i.e. President of my brew club (self-titled as I was the founding memeber).

That would be consistent with the latin suffix -tor/tore., which became -or in english. Elevator, editor, fermentor, etc.

does that mean all this time I thought I was masturbater when really I was a masturbator?

This is brought up in the book, Yeast. I still just use fermenter. I can never remember which is correct.

Ugh, now I'll probably start using them the right way. I'm such a conformor!

Back