Fermentor Questions/Recipe Suggestion Post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinakajuice

Reaction score
I have brewed extracts with my bro-in-law and we are about to change just about everything we've done up to this point. Changes are:

*10 gallon batches instead of 5 gal
*All grain instead of extract
*Kegging instead of bottling

The setup will be 2 keggles and a 62 qt MLT. I've done the research and even used the search feature for the 'general' processes of everything involved. The end result of the inaugural brew will hopefully be two proper kegs of beer.

I want to purchase some Better Bottles that will serve as both primary and secondary (BB to keg). What size is recommended--5 or 6 or depends on style of beer so get a mixture? Ported or not ported? Is the 6 gal if you want to bottle a few beers after you fill up your keg?

Good to know before ordering.

And also, any first AG 10 gal brew recommendations? 6 week turnaround preferable.

Thanks for reading!

~Juice~

I strongly recommend ale pails or something similar for fermentation. Way easier to clean than anything with a narrow neck. I only use my better bottles for bulk aging, but most of my beers go straight from bucket to bottle.

As far as sizes go, 5g batch in a 5g bottle will need a blowoff tube. Depending on the yeast and how it krausens, a 5g batch MIGHT not need a blowoff tube in a 6g bottle. I do 3.3-5g batches in a 6.5g bucket and I've never needed a blowoff tube.

Latest posts

Back