Fermentis Safcider TF-6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this yeast? This is my first time trying it, so I'm only making a small batch at first, but I can't seem to find any info online about the alcohol tolerance of this particular strain of yeast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210804-225906_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210804-225906_Google.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 13
Here is the data sheet on the TF-6. Hope it helps!

I have a batch going with it now, but the results are TBD.

Attachments

• SafCider-TF-6.pdf
    365.3 KB · Views: 62
So yesterday I racked a batch of cider made with TF-6 back in October 2021.
From the fermentis website:

SAFCIDER™ TF-6 SENSORY PROFILE

Very high aromatic intensity and complexity towards fresh fruity notes (apple, banana-pear, red, citrus and exotic fruits) combined with interesting elaborated fruit notes (applesauce).

Sweet and round mouthfeel strengthening candy like sensation.

Please note that those observations are based on French cider recipe trials.

My observations:
Cider is pleasant, easy drinking, although not sweet, gravity went all the down to 1.00098.
Apples used: 100% Newtown Pippin
I had a limited amount of the Newtown Pippin apples, so I didn't run a side by side test with another yeast.
I would use this yeast again.

I thought I might ride piggy-back on this thread. We are slowly staggering towards Autumn (Fall) down here with a cool summer and lots of rain so I don't know how good the apples will be this year and wondered if the cider might need a bit of help from the right yeast. I had in mind trying AS-2 in a few months when the apples are ready but thought the TF-6 might end up a bit "alco-pop" like, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, it would be good to get some feedback from anyone who has used any of the newer Fermentis yeasts (TF-6, AC-4, AS-2, or AB-1)

I hope the yeast will be able to remedy any flaws the apple juice may have. You may also add some hops for flavour.

Reviving an old thread...

I bought a packet out of curiosity, as I was interested in the claimed fruitiness. Ten days ago I made some cider from store apple juice (Aldi--ascorbic is the only preservative). I pitched it dry, pouring it into the funnel and pouring jars of juice to wash it into the carboy. I added 1/2 tsp. Wyeast wine yeast nutrient sterilized in 50 ml water.

I had poured 2.9 gallons of cider into the 3 gallon carboy, but could have used all 3 gallons. Fermentation has been nice and easy--no headspace needed. I have not detected any bad odors coming from the airlock. After 10 days there is still some airlock activity. I'll let this one ride out a month or two then bottle. I'm fermenting it at 66-68F.

I'll try to remember to report back later.

As posted some time ago, I did a trial batch using AS2 and CdB against S04 as the "control". S04 has a reputation for sometimes finishing above 1.000 and leaves a touch of sweetness. The Fermentis data suggests that TF6 might behave the same way as it only fermented past 25g/L in their high YAN "English Cider" trial.

My AS2 had fermented down to 1.002 when I primed and bottled. It ended up tasting similar to S04 and did indeed have a citrus note (slightly bitter but quite pleasant) as suggested by the Fermentis Data Sheets. After my trials, my go-to is still S04, but I would happily use AS2, especially if I was using store-bought juice which can be lacking a bit of character. So, TF6 may also be good for this type of cider.

I guess the point of this is that the Fermentis information seems to be quite accurate. As you suggest, Fermentic claim that TF6 should leave some residual sweetness in most cases. The addition of yeast nutrient might help it go below 25g/L and so reduce the sweetness effect as noticed by madscientist451, above.

Attached is an extract from Fermentis "cider strains to create cider diversity".

Attachments

• Fermentis new Cider Yeasts.pdf
    443.6 KB · Views: 0
As posted some time ago, I did a trial batch using AS2 and CdB against S04 as the "control". S04 has a reputation for sometimes finishing above 1.000 and leaves a touch of sweetness. The Fermentis data suggests that TF6 might behave the same way as it only fermented past 25g/L in their high YAN "English Cider" trial.

My AS2 had fermented down to 1.002 when I primed and bottled. It ended up tasting similar to S04 and did indeed have a citrus note (slightly bitter but quite pleasant) as suggested by the Fermentis Data Sheets. After my trials, my go-to is still S04, but I would happily use AS2, especially if I was using store-bought juice which can be lacking a bit of character. So, TF6 may also be good for this type of cider.

I guess the point of this is that the Fermentis information seems to be quite accurate. As you suggest, Fermentic claim that TF6 should leave some residual sweetness in most cases. The addition of yeast nutrient might help it go below 25g/L and so reduce the sweetness effect as noticed by madscientist451, above.

Attached is an extract from Fermentis "cider strains to create cider diversity".
I was wanting to try S04 for my ciders but I am curious what temperature profile if any that you use.

I don't do anything very clever with temperature as I just move the fermenting container to wherever the temperature seems to be about right. The S04 packet suggests 12C - 25C with an ideal 15C to 20C.

Depending on the time of year (typically Autumn/Fall), my choices are 15C -18C in my outside cool store (which stores produce, jams, etc, and has a small air conditioner to make sure that the temperature doesn't go over 18C if the weather is a bit warm), or inside at around 14 C if the outside weather gets a bit cold. Today (winter) it is a bit cold, snowing up the mountains above us and only 12C in the inside cupboard where my last gallon is fermenting with S04.

I guess that I just try to keep in the 15C - 20C range but don't get too bothered if it goes outside this for a while.

Has anyone used this yeast? This is my first time trying it, so I'm only making a small batch at first, but I can't seem to find any info online about the alcohol tolerance of this particular strain of yeast.
I made three batches of apple cider from two backyard trees using three yeasts, Fermentis AS2, AB1, and TF6. I’m not that picky or sensitive about particular tastes and was rejected as a taster by the National Food Laboratory.

Nevertheless, my observations: Of the three, the TF6 took a few days longer to get started, took a bit longer to get done, the result was a bit cloudier, the lees much less solid, and the taste with much more apple character than either of the others. It seems to have more residual sweetness, too.

I like it.

I made three batches of apple cider from two backyard trees using three yeasts, Fermentis AS2, AB1, and TF6. I’m not that picky or sensitive about particular tastes and was rejected as a taster by the National Food Laboratory.

Nevertheless, my observations: Of the three, the TF6 took a few days longer to get started, took a bit longer to get done, the result was a bit cloudier, the lees much less solid, and the taste with much more apple character than either of the others. It seems to have more residual sweetness, too.

I like it.
Interesting, did you take a final gravity reading to compare each yeast? How long did they take in comparison? It almost sounds like your TF6 wasn't finished fermenting. I've only tried AB1 from Fermentis, and been pleased with the results.

Just an update of AS2 vs TF6 using bought "Summer Snow" juice from Bellevue Orchards.

- 15Nov, both ciders started with the same 10L juice blend (5L Pink Lady, 3.3L Golden Delicious, 1.7L Granny Smith). OG 1.050, pH 4.0 then 15g Malic Acid added for pH 3.6 and TA 6g/L. Split into 4L with TF6, 3L with AS2, and the other 3L into smaller experimental batches with Cherries and Blackberries.

- 16 Nov, TF6 started with some surface foam, but no action in the AS2.
- 20 Nov, both quite active, TF6 = 1.030, AS2 =1.010
- 26 Nov, TF6 = 1.008, AS2 = 1.001
-29 Nov, TF6 fermentation (by airlock bubbles) is now very slow (according to Fermentis, TF6 is expected to stop around 1.010 as it doesn't like too much alcohol... I am hoping that it does stop somewhere close to where it is now). Although both were quite cloudy during active fermentation, they are now becoming acceptably clear. In each case a starter was made and the "creamy" nature of the starter seems to have caused the cloudiness. (Note to self... next time just sprinkle the yeast as per the packet instructions and see if this avoids the cloudiness).

At this stage, by taste, both seem as though they would make a very good "fully fermented" quaffing cider with a touch of sweetness. The fairly rapid fermentation was probably helped by 1 teaspoon (5g) of DAP added to the original 10L of juice.

The plan is to add juice (or sugar syrup) to 0.004 above the FG then bottle for lightly carbonated fully fermented 6% -7% ABV ciders.

Watch this space!

Came here looking for the answer to the OP question: What is the [approximate is fine] alcohol tolerance of this yeast?

Fermentis don't publish the alcohol tolerance of TF6 (they do for some, but not all of their yeasts). However, they do indicate that it is a high nutrient dependent yeast. This is the case with many ale yeasts which also are high nutrient dependent. One of the characteristics of such yeasts is that being nutrient dependent, they can be stopped above SG1.000 by restricting nutrients in order to leave some sweetness. This appears to be the case with TF6.

So, if you want to make this vague connection, you might assume that TF6 behaves like and has the same alcohol tolerance of ale yeasts. According to Beersmith, this is 8-12ABV.

Sorry, can't help any more than that.

Back