Fermenting with Wyeast Lambic Blend 3278

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoJack86

Reaction score
So recently I brewed a batch that I fermented with Wyeast 3278, and I was wondering if anyone who used this yeast had any suggestions for the fermenting schedule. Should I leave it in secondary for a specific time? I've heard some brewers say they leave it for 6 months+. Is this necessary? Any suggestions for it would be appreciated very much.

there is no fermenting schedule, some people will move the beer off of the yeast at some point but i don't think that is important to do. the yeast cake acts as fuel over time for the various bugs and bacteria. with my sours i just let then sit for a year or so then i blend and bottle or just bottle if no blending is needed.

yes i do. i have 3 sours going right now 3, 11, and 12 months old, all on their yeast cakes and two with wood.

i use oak chunks right into the fermentor (2 better bottles and one glass carboy).

Very cool. I picked up some oak chips as my buddy suggested. It's currently in primary in a 6.5 gallon glass. When/how would you suggest adding the wood?

i added the wood after 4 months or so but just because that's when i got around to it not because there is a correct time to do it. if i had a barrel it would be on wood right away which is how it was traditionally done.

i don't know. there are so many variables: the size of the chips/chunks, the amount of roasting, french, american, hungarian and how long you will be leaving them in. i put around 2oz of american oak med roast chunks in mine.

i think it would. that amount will probably no overwhelm your beer. i check the beer every 3-4 months and have 3 going so that i can blend to get the flavors right for my tastes.

each other. 3 sours, 3 different grain bills, 3 different sour yeasts from russian river, jolly pumpkin and a local brewery.

i didn't, i'm counting on the low ph, and all these months later the hydro samples still taste great.

You can also soak the cubes in wines/liquors to emulate aging in those types of barrels. You should poke around/ask in the lambic section also.

Nice. I'll toss them in then. Can't hurt. Thanks for your help. This is the first sour type beer I've done so far, so naturally I've got a few questions. I'm more used to doing simpler beers. IPAs, Saisons, Belgian Strong Ales, etc. All grain of course.

Back