Fermenting too fast or too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brdrumz

Reaction score
I just brewed up my first two extract batches yesterday...both are in the fermenters and my Wheat beer is at 65 degrees and bubbling nicely.

My brown ale (Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer) is bubbling vigorously, almost non-stop and the fermenting bucket is warm. (warmer than the wheat beer bucket.) I moved it out to my garage where it's a little cooler.

The differences are the Wheat beer had (Liquid Wyeast and starter).
The brown ale had dry yeast (Danstar Windsor)

Considering the fermenting bucket is warm and the "Fermometer" on the side is not even registering, (above 78 degrees??) should I be concerned about the brown ale's temp and constant bubbling??

Anyone with suggestions or advice - I'm just hoping I don't have a problem with off flavors or yeast producing/fermenting too fast or hard.
This is all new to me - and I just want both batches to turn out decent.
I'm sure (and hoping) I'm panicking for nothing.

the first 12 hrs are temperature critical and 78 degrees is way too hot for an ale.

A strong fermentation is not inherently a bad thing, but you want to keep the temperature down if possible. Lots of tips on that in the forums. I got a temperature controller for an old freezer to handle that particular issue pretty early on in my brewing career.

the first 12 hrs are temperature critical and 78 degrees is way too hot for an ale.

+1. What is the ambient temp in the room? The temp will rise in the fermenter above room temp , but that is pretty extreme difference if the other one is at 65.

Room (ambient) temp is about 72 in my finished basement area.
I moved the bucket to the garage where it's more like 62-64 degrees.
Hopefully it slows down a little.

Room (ambient) temp is about 72 in my finished basement area.
I moved the bucket to the garage where it's more like 62-64 degrees.
Hopefully it slows down a little.

Probably should put all your ales in there if that is the ambient temp. Check out swamp cooler on here. It is a cheap way to keep your temps down.

I think I helped my problem....

I took the fermenting bucket and put it in some cold water, (the same way I cooled my boiling pot) The temperature has now dropped to 64 degrees.
I will leave it here for a bit, then move it to the corner of the garage. (Hopefully I salvaged the beer in time for anything too serious to occur.)
I pitched the yeast at 7:00pm last night and recognized the problem today at 11am.

The bubbling in the airlock has now slowed. Still steady....but slowed.

In the future is it better to "err" (error) to the cool side of fermentation as opposed to the warm side of fermentation?

Thanks!

The people who make up the yeast packets or vials will have a preferred temperature range listed somewhere on their website. For most yeasts you will get a cleaner ferment when you keep the bucket nearer the cool end of that range. Your ferment will be slower and the yeast will throw off much less of the objectionable flavors.

Unless you're dealing with wheat beer yeasts. Low end gives clove esters,high end gives banana candy flavors.

The garage (low-60's) temp is about perfect for most ales. Only really major exception is trappist-type ales, where the low 70's would be better. I'd definitely go with that in the future, if it's still in that temp range.

OK...in my garage the temps are stable at 64 degrees according to "fermometer" on outside of primary bucket.

My Brown Ale which concerned me so much yesterday, has begun to dwindle in airlock bubbling. (this is only like 2 - 2.5 days into fermenting.)

My Wheat beer is continuing a steady bubble and seems to be progressing nicely at a steady rate. (no real slowdown noted)

Should I be concerned that the Brown Ale (which was at a very high temp for several hours initially during fermentation start) is now starting to peter out and beginning the decline of fermentation process? Should I shake, move or bang the bucket to get any little yeasties moving around? (or would that even do any good?) I don't really intend to get serious about moving to secondary, unless it needs to go sooner? I was assuming 7 to 10 days was a "normal" waiting period for transfer to secondary. (of course I had an abnormal hot fermentation in the beginning, so that may have thrown it all out of whack?)

Anyone have any ideas if the stall is normal at this early stage?
Could fermentation be done that fast?

Don't bother transfering to secondary. Unless you're adding fruit,oaking,etc you don't need to risk oxidation in transfering. Not mention loosing beer with every transfer. And it's not stalled,it's just past the more vigorous initial fermentation. It'll slow down & maybe not bubble at all while it ferments down to FG. So nothing's wrong with it. Y'all worry too much,be patient & it'll work itself out with no help from you. Save for temps,anyway.

Back