Fermenting temperature, I'm off a little

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb124

Reaction score
Well I chilled my wort to 70 degrees today and put the airlock and lid on and put it in the closet of our guest bedroom around 3:30pm.

The directions for this Red Ale specify fermentation temperature of 68 - 72 degrees.

Being my first batch, I checked on it this evening around 9:30pm knowing there will be no bubbling, and the crystal thermometer on the side of the fermenting bucket reads 65 degrees. First of all, have I killed anything here? Will this ruin my batch? I didn't realize it was that cold in the closet, but since it's down into the teens here today and there's no heat vent in the closet, I shouldn't be surprised.

So I took it out of the closet and put it in the living room beside our couch, but put the bucket in a black garbage bag to keep light off it. Our house is set to 72 degrees, but the bucket hasn't gotten above 66 degrees yet. I imagine it will get closer to 72 by morning, but will this ruin anything in the process if it's not in the temperature threshold in the first 16-18 hours of fermentation? Will it just slow the process?

This is my first batch and I'm paranoid obviously.

You've not ruined anything, 65 is a little low but nothing to worry about. it may take a little while to get going and longer to finish. Don't forget your're measuring the xtrenaly temp of the carboy. The wort temp will probably be a little higher.

Given that the fermentation hasn't started yet, no problem. You just slowed the growth phase a bit.

Latest posts

Back