Fermenting temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dstrodtman

Reaction score
I am about to brew c my first kettle brew this weekend. My question is, I have plastic carboy and for fermentation, I will be storing in a wine chiller mini cooler that goes to 61 degrees farenheit, will this be ok?

You're probably ok. Do you know what yeast you are using? If it's an Ale yeast this will work. If you are using a lager yeast the wine cooler doesn't get cold enough.

As long as you're brewing an ale you should be fine at that temp. Look up the temperature range for your particular yeast to be sure. It will be on the manufacturer's website.

-ben

As others have said above - just double check the yeast you are using for its optimal temperature range; if it is an ale, 61 degrees should be great.

I don't think the compressor on those wine fridges are nearly as strong as a typical fridge, so I would try to cool your wort down as close to 61 degrees as possible before pitching your yeast, otherwise it will take forever for that wine cooler to lower the temperature the rest of the way.

Back