Fermenting Super Fast with no new scoby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miamipoker

Reaction score
I am on my 4th brew and can't figure this out.
I put my filtered water and make 1 gallon of black tea with 1 cup sugar and my scoby.
During my first 2 batches I tasted the brew after 4 days and it was already sour and not sweet at all. everyone says the initial fermentation takes 7-10 days. My temp is of tea is constant 72-74 degrees. So, it's not that... Also, I'm not forming a solid new scoby on top probably because it's fermenting so fast there is just a layer of slim starting to form. So, I started the 2nd fermination with juice and after 2-3 days tea comes out great.. Lots of Fizz and great flavour.

So, I made 2 gallon batches last night.. about 16 hours ago and my PH tester just arrived.. So, I tasted the batch from last night and it tasted about perfect balance between sour and sweet.. So, I tested the PH and it was 2.9.. Could my tea be fermenting in Just 16 hours? seems crazy no?

odd question... i've had vinegar form VERY fast, but my kombucha takes a good chunk of time... did you use any vinegar to clean the equipment or drop the PH? just randomly popped into my head

I do use white vinegar to clean with but always rinse with clean water after before adding TEA.

The slimey growth on top most likely is a scoby forming. As long as no green/blue spots form you are doing just fine. PH as you go.

Wizard works

Latest posts

Back