Fermenting Safale 05 at 64F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
I am in the process of fermenting a Dead Guy clone, and I read on Rogue's website that most of their ales are fermented at 60 degrees, and none of them above 70. Since Dead Guy is supposed to be in the style of a German Maibock, I am trying to keep my swamp cooler on the lower range of this spectrum, around 64-62 degrees. I am using Safale 05 rather than Pacman, since it was all I could get my hands on; does anyone know if this may cause a problem with my fermentation other than a longer finish time? Any chance of the yeast pooping out because of the low temp?

I've used US-05 at 59F with great results, but I do let the temp go up a bit after 3-4 days. I have three fermenters going with US-05 now that started at 59f and now are at 63 after nearly one week. I don't think they are at FG yet.

I'll ferment US-05 at 62 if I can get that low, and it still chugs right along. My first two batches of Dead Guy (yooper's recipe) I did with US-05 @62 and it came out great, in fact I think I prefer it to the last two batches that I've made with Pacman. Go figure :drunk:

S-05 going at 57. Throws peach at lower temps though.

DSC01249.JPG

Yeah, I've made several beers fermented with S-05 at or below 60F and they've all been good (one of them the best I've ever made I reckon :) )

I have gone a wide range with S-05 from about 58-69 and it always does well. You have to get it up higher at the end though to rid the Diacetyl. I didn't think it produced it, but it does. Make sure to raise the temp at the end of fermentation in order to get rid of the buttered popcorn. You only have to do that if you ferment below 65 (which I do most of the time)

Very forgiving and easy to use yeast. Just finished a Pliny batch @ 64F, increased temp to 68F after 10 days. Made me walk away from liquid yeast.

I've had issues with fermenting temps (who hasn't) so I'm working on lower temps. I've got three in primary @63°F right now, all using S-05. A few mentions of it, but should I be thinking about raising to 68°F for Diacetyl in secondary? If yes, do I leave the temps at 68°F for all of secondary?

In general all my beers are allowed to rise several degrees higher near the end of the ferment. Many of us don't use secondaries, seems to be a needless use of energy and risk of oxidation & or infection by doing that transfer. I just leave it be for a few weeks at the higher temp, then cold crash & transfer to keg with or without filtering.

US-05 is my go-to yeast these days. I ferment at 62 for a week and then ramp up 1 degree per day to 68. I consistently get 84% attentuation with an OG of 1.065 (1 packet).

I do US05 at 64° all winter long (basement temp during the winter). No attenuation problems at all.

For the first few days i usually set the minifridge for 55 figuring the beer inside is between 62-65 during active fermentation.
Once it tapers off I raise the temp slowly to room temp over the course of 2 weeks. After that I take it out and let it sit for 2 weeks in a closet around 70-75 and I've never tasted Diacetyl or any other off flavor with s-05.
Really the last brown ale I did like that had very little yeast flavors and actually tasted too clean to me so I'm switching to s-04 for a batch just to see what happens.

stat said:
For the first few days i usually set the minifridge for 55 figuring the beer inside is between 62-65 during active fermentation.
Once it tapers off I raise the temp slowly to room temp over the course of 2 weeks. After that I take it out and let it sit for 2 weeks in a closet around 70-75 and I've never tasted Diacetyl or any other off flavor with s-05.
Really the last brown ale I did like that had very little yeast flavors and actually tasted too clean to me so I'm switching to s-04 for a batch just to see what happens.

I always use US-04 on my brown and I'm very happy with it. I actually use it for any English ale that I do and it works great!

Excellent info, thanks. The "oldest" of those three beers in primary is a Lagunitas IPA clone at 10 days. A couple days of a little fluctuation +/-63°F (water bath/fish heater in the garage) but it's already attenuated 87%. I certainly don't need higher temps for US-05 to get enough to eat. At this point, would y'all recommend raising the temp still or just leave it?

Excellent info, thanks. The "oldest" of those three beers in primary is a Lagunitas IPA clone at 10 days. A couple days of a little fluctuation +/-63°F (water bath/fish heater in the garage) but it's already attenuated 87%. I certainly don't need higher temps for US-05 to get enough to eat. At this point, would y'all recommend raising the temp still or just leave it?

If it was me, I would slowly raise it to 68 and hold it there for at least 24 hours for a diacetyl rest--and not package until it's sat in primary for at least 3 weeks total.

I pitched us05 over 24 hours ago and no fermentation. cooled to 62 and in freezer with controller set to 63. Should I be worried or does it take longer with the cooler temps to get started. Nothing yet.

I pitched us05 over 24 hours ago and no fermentation. cooled to 62 and in freezer with controller set to 63. Should I be worried or does it take longer with the cooler temps to get started. Nothing yet.

did you rehydrate your 05 ? I ferment 05 at 64 all the time and it does a great job

if you just pitched it dry or did not pitch enough it could that a while to start but it will start

all the best

S_M

Didn't rehydrate. Was slow and lazy. Just need to relax. I always use liquid yeast with statters and am use to it taking off sooner. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I use US-05 rehydrated and typically have activity in 4 - 12 hours. I ferment in my basement in the winter which stays at 59*F to 63*F for 14 - 21 days. I've never done a d-rest with this yeast and haven't experienced any issues. In the summer months I do everything the same however, using my fermentation chamber.

I have found US-05 to be a very slow starter. Without rehydrating, lag can take up to 48 hours before airlock activity kicks in. I still love it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Home Brew mobile app

I have a Hopslam clone going now with US-05. First night it sat at 57 then we had a cold front and cellar dropped and temp dropped to 48 but activity was still going strong. I have since moved it from the cellar where it is sitting at 63. Fermentation is still going crazy on day 6. I can't wait to see what that really low temp did to this. US-05 is a beast

Latest posts

Back