Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenoglass

Not only do I brew but I play ukulele!
Reaction score
So I am making a octoberfest style ale and am using WLP 036 yeast. I am having a hard time keeping the temp below 70 so far it had I it below 68 for maybe 24 of the last 48 hours. Should this be ok? I also have a swamp cooler with frozen bottles I keep adding but still my basement is just too hot I guess. Any worries I should have?? I also left my house this am and won't be back till tomorrow afternoon I hope all is ok. Any suggestions besides a mini fridge?

Do you have a large cooler you could use as a swamp cooler? Aiming a fan toward the wet jersey helps in cooling too, through evaporation.
Do you have a (large) spare refrigerator or freezer you can adapt with a temp controller?

I am using a late bucket filled with water and keep adding frozen bottles to it. I am looking for a used fridge lately on CL so I can eliminate this problem in the future.

Insulate that bucket with something. Less exposure to the ambient temps. Find a cooler spot in the house. Fermentaton fridge is the best.

I have tried using the water bottles in a bucket of water before and it works, definitely better than just leaving at room temperature, but a refrigerator is definitely ideal. I wouldn't be too concerned, the White Labs recommends 65-69 degrees for the WLP036 so if you just keep changing out those frozen bottles, it should be alright.

Back