Fermenting one batch in multiple carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott_m

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm going to scale up the size of my batches pretty soon. As I don't really have the money to drop on a 15gal conical fermenter, I will be splitting a big batch in multiple carboys. Say I want to brew 15gal and split it into 3 6.5gal carboys... do I need to buy 3 packets of yeast for each carboy, or can I just make a large enough starter (from one packet) and divide that among the 3 carboys?

Hi there,

I'm going to scale up the size of my batches pretty soon. As I don't really have the money to drop on a 15gal conical fermenter, I will be splitting a big batch in multiple carboys. Say I want to brew 15gal and split it into 3 6.5gal carboys... do I need to buy 3 packets of yeast for each carboy, or can I just make a large enough starter (from one packet) and divide that among the 3 carboys?

Just make a large enough starter, as long as its not a blend of different yeast or anything that a starter would throw out of balance.

One thing I've started doing lately is making a starter 500ml larger than necessary and then putting that extra 500ml into a mason jar to save for future starters.

You can always make a big enough starter, even from a small initial yeast population, as long as you're willing to take the time needed. You use steps. Make a starter, which grows the yeast. Put into fridge. Decant liquid. Use that larger population as the input to another starter. Grow the yeast again... repeat. You just have to plan ahead and have appropriate vessels for the ever-increasing yeast colony.

Just pay attention to how much it's going to cost you (money, as well as time) to make that starter vs buying a couple extra packs of yeast. Dry yeast is cheap. If your using liquid then it can be expensive plus you'd need to make starters for each anyway.

One cool thing about big batches (kind of obvious but worth stating): get a couple different yeasts then you can experiment with how each affects the flavor of the beer.

So basically I would just use this calculator http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/ to figure out how big a starter I need to make?

Would it be possible/practical to make a big enough starter to ferment 15gal of say, a high gravity imperial stout from 1 yeast packet?

It's always possible to make a starter big enough for this volume/gravity given steps and time. However, if you are using dry yeast, it may be less expensive to simply purchase an extra packet or two of yeast to get to your pitch rate rather than make a starter.

Back