Fermenting location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creenative

Reaction score
I was going to do my wine making in a small basement. It is unheated other than when the heater for the house kicks on. Temp in winter will be in the 50"s. I'll be using a plastic fermenting pail and a heat belt with a thermostat. It that too cold an are? I was also going to insulate the bucket with a fleece blanket. Or should I just make the wine upstairs? (small house limited space)

I wasn't quite clear. It's not a heating blanket. I have just an old fleece blanket plain no heating wrapped around the bucket with a heating belt wrapped around it under the blanket.

What you might do is check out an Inkbird (or similar) temperature controller. The idea is that you can set the controller at a fixed temperature and it will turn the heater off when that temperature is exceeded by one degree and will turn it back on when the temp falls below your setting. I have to admit, that I have only used a controller to control a "dorm" type fridge I use as a cheese cave, so I am looking for cooling , not heating, but these controllers are good for either cooling or heating. They cost around $40 -$50 but they are plug and play.

Batch will be 6 gallons and the heater tape is 30 watts. I also have the INkbird controller.

If you can wrap it good with your blanket and the heat belt is wrapped around the FV, you should be good to go. Is the temp probe on your Inkbird taped to the outside or inside a thermowell inside the FV? Taped to the side works fine, just use a small towel to insulate it from the outside so it only reads the FV temperature. Installing a thermowell doesn't cost much and easily installs into the lid. Either way, sounds like what you've got already will work fine. Almost forgot, if you have a spare blanket or rubber mat, set your FV on it to keep it off the cold floor.

Thanks very much. This is all great info. Yes I will be taping the probe to the outside of the bucket and will had some more insulation around it than the blanket over it. If you don't mind one more question.. Is the temp requirement the same for the secondary in the carboy?
Don't you hate us beginners...

Thanks very much. This is all great info. Yes I will be taping the probe to the outside of the bucket and will had some more insulation around it than the blanket over it. If you don't mind one more question.. Is the temp requirement the same for the secondary in the carboy?
Don't you hate us beginners...
No, only for the active ferment. Once primary is done you're fine keeping it cool.
Ask away. It's how we learn.

Primary fermentation is when the correct temperature is important, once it's done fermenting and aging/in secondary, its not a problem. Just remember to check the air lock every couple weeks so it doesn't run dry.

Ensure vessel is elevated and there is no musty basement odor and you should be OK,

Yeast matters. Find a yeast that works in the temperature ranges you're looking for. My garage is between 20 and 100°F depending on the season, and the yeast I use has been fairly successful in secondary out there.

Back