Fermenting Imperial Stout taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todes

Reaction score
Hello, I tasted my fermenting imperial Stout today, it is the 5th Day of fermentating and it tasted too strong. The gravity reading was 1.032. Is it ok to taste that strong at this time? Las time I brew this one I tasted it after 10 days and it tasted better.

You've got what I'm assuming is a monster beer being shredded by yeast that are possibly stressed (not sure your pitching rate, temps, O2 levels, etc.) and producing at lot of fermentation byproduct. Your beer should be far from its desired end state at this point. And finally, come on, you know better than to be pulling samples of a beer that big only 5 days in. Report back in a couple weeks. Cheers
:mug:

Would you criticize the life story of a 5 month old baby because he/she hadn't accomplished much in life? At 5 days an imperial stout should be horrid. Check it on day 21 and then question it. Then if it has completed fermentation and the trub settled, bottle it and wait another 6 months. Then do the taste sample and let us know if it has off flavors.

Back