Fermenting finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshtorres28

Reaction score
I brewed my first batck of a blonde ale, last monday and removed lid for hydrometer reading and I saw a foam ring around bucket and yeast flakes at top is this normal?

Yes. The foam ring you speak of is the remnants of the "kraussen". Has your airlock stopped bubbling?

If you don't have a hydrometer, then get one! Gravity readings are the only way to know if it's done fermenting.. Not airlock activity or lack there-of..

Also, the true indication of when fermentation is done is not the lack of airlock bubbling, but a steady gravity over several days. Even if the airlock stops, you can still have fermentation going on. Generally, I like to leave the beer alone for 10-14 days before checking the gravity. If it is the same over a number of days (and relatively close to your expected FG), your fermentation is done and you can proceed to bottling/kegging.

Back